99 durango brake bleeding

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by rjh1, Oct 7, 2007.

1. rjh1

rjh1 Putting forth an effort to try and help others

99 durango,,,270,000 mi,,,replaced both rear brake lines and l. rear w/c,,,got some air and fluid to come out of r. rear bleeder and thats it,,where the lines come off the master and go to the abs block I can get fluid to come out both the line in front and line out the back ,, but cant seem to get fluid to the rear,,could the be a great ammount of air,,,trying to bleed with motor running,,,no brake lite on on dash or abs lite while running.. i have a vacuum pump bleeder should i try that ...also which is the correct sequence to bleed...

2. crunch

crunch wrench

If you let air get into the ABS system you will need a ABS brake capable scanner to bleed it.
    For bleeding the regular brake part a pressure bleeder works better.
    But you may have to hold the combination valve open or put a holding tool on it.
    Crunch

3. rjh1

did get some fluid to come out of both rear bleeders..but not great amounts when i have help and the pedal is held firm the block next to the master a pin comes out in the front but not on the rear, i can see this when the rubber covers are off,,what is this holding tool you talk of and is there any pictures of how to do it,,,what type of scanner has that capability to assist...the odd part is the rear s were not working even before the line broke..i had the r rear drum off and had someone push the pedal and neither wheel cyl would stroke...even when i had line off rear hose didn't lose fluid..someone replaced wheel cyls they look new...trying to help my neighbor with this he's older and can't afford a garage repair bill....fixed income....I'm just trying to help him out

4. crunch

crunch wrench

Open a front bleeder and leave it open and then see if you can get fluid to come out the rear.
    Parts places should have a holding tool for the equalizer.

5. rjh1

well it turned out to be a bad rear brake hose......seems it collapsed....could not blow air thru it either direction....replaced hose and bleed rears...adjusted up and they work great...THANKS