95 honda shadow vt1100

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by briangearhead, Jul 1, 2014.

1. briangearhead

briangearhead Jr. Member

i have a 95 Honda shadow vt1100 , my bike has a problem that I haven't been able to track down... looking for some fresh ideas ... when at a cruising speed where I am holding the throttle at one speed the bike acts like its missing out, some times I can hear it pop back through the carbs / or carb ... BUT when you roll on the throttle it goes away ... thought it was the carbs so I took them off and cleaned it meaning all the jets and pin holes in side ... still didn't fix it, ive ran b12 chemtool and still nothing same thing .. it has new plugs in it .. I called my local Honda shop after I checked the spark and it looked weak ... there tech told me that it was the rectifier/ regulator ... soooo I bought a new one
    STILL NO CHANGE !!!!! oh one more thing my bike has to be nice and warm to run decent .. and I mean it can me 90 degrees out and you still have FULL choke it and let the engine warm up for like 5 minutes .. THEN it will idle with the choke off sounds good at idle .. but if you start to slowly give it throttle it sounds like its missing out .. if you crack her open sounds fine .. well damn good actually .. does anyone know what my problem is PLEASE I NEED HELP :(

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

My best guess is that it is still a carb issue. Fuel metering there is a delicate balancing-act with very small orifices and very low pressures. Just a small leak or blockage somewhere can cause problems. You may have to have the carbs looked at by a dedicated carb shop, preferably one that specializes in bike (small engine) carbs. Those kind of shops are getting harder-and-harder to find as carbs disappear, you may have to send yours off for a while on vacation to one of those "carb spas"!

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    My old 1000 cc goldwing was a bad fix. Had to make sure all carbs were in time :idea: After that, my yamaha seca with two carbs had same issues. I hated that seca bike. But the digital dash was cool. :ROFL

My dad likes hondas and yahama's.

On the goldwing, needed a bit of love and care in regards to spindle needles. Also need to balances all carbs.

Will post back on how to balance this model. :thx

Needed to modify;
    I let carb parts soak in tranny fluid. After, i clean them with gunk. Here is a link :idea:

@nickd; :ROFL https://gunk.com/products/cat_PC_CC.asp

http://www.bikebandit.com/1995-honda-shadow-ace-1100-vt1100c2-carb-kits-parts-accessories-universal/n1137?m=151506

This video may help you 8) http://youtu.be/t0qf11BOx6o Similar to your model :eek:

4. briangearhead

briangearhead Jr. Member

well I agree that its a carb problem .. so I took my carbs back off to give them another look over ..
    sure enough I found the vacuum cups on the top of the carbs had about a half inch slit in the rubber and that's in both carb. im beginning to wonder how it even ran lol well have to save some money and see if that fixes my problems ... ill post my finding once I get it together guys

5. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Hope you get her riding again. After diaphragm replacement, what was fuel pressure?

6. xeeshjuli

xeeshjuli Newbie

You may have to have the carbs looked at by a dedicated carb shop, preferably one that specializes in bike (small engine) carbs. Those kind of shops are getting harder-and-harder to find as carbs disappear...!!!!