'81 Honda XR200R

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by billr, Oct 10, 2013.

1. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Okay, here is a challenge for those of you that are good searching online:

I need torque specs for the cylinder head nuts, and how to time the camshaft drive chain. I see no timing marks on the cam sprocket, and right now it looks like the crank pulley won't be visible at all unless I dis-assemble the crankcase somewhat.

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

hope this helps .... I am having SO SO much trouble adding documents as of late .

Sorry I did not read it just trying to help

Attached Files:

3. billr

That's somewhat of a different engine shown (4-valve vs. my 2-valve), but I hope a lot is similar. I'm 400 miles away from it right now, I'll let you know what I find when I'm back home next week. I really don't remember any kind of marks on the cam or cam sprocket, but will check again.

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

Bill I will check again this is a 1981 Honda, what you call a XR200R, does that referamce bike or engine - only 2 valves indicating its a 1 cylinder? and I guess 200cc?

Honda is not my thing, so i can only point and click copy and paste.
    I have an old honorary PHD, for the Milwaukee legend... before those new fangled electric starters came to be :h:

5. billr

XR220R is the bike M/N. I have never found any mention of the engine "model" alone. It's a 1-cyl 200cc (well, 195... then over-bored to that bastard 66mm that I had to make a piston-ring for!).

6. billr

Not really looking for help, just sympathy! I got it all back together and have spark and compression, but it won't fire with a quick blast of starting-fluid (carb still needs some attention). I had forgotten how much fun kick-starters are, and this one has very limited stroke, so you only get one compression try per kick. I can't take compression because the plug is 12mm, and my gauge is the old 14/18mm type; but there is a very noticeable difference in cranking between plug-in and plug-out. Guess I will have to make and adapter for my gauge, as I am quite curious as to how well my home-made piston ring works and lasts. My pet theory is that the spark-plug is getting soaked with oil, since I put a lot in on top of the piston to get the top end well-lubed for first start. Certainly there was oil filling the spark gap on the plug the two times I have inspected it.

7. billr

Got it to fire, ignition was off 360 crank degrees, was firing at TDC between exhaust and intake.

8. lucylee378

lucylee378 Newbie

I doubt there is enough pressure anywhere in that system to damage something. But, if you take it apart for cleaning, you will have an opportunity to check for damage.

9. billr

That is an old thread, I am long-past the "no start" issue, of course. In fact, it is now just sitting, waiting for my son to use the engine for a go-cart. However, I have no clue what that recent reply means! Care to explain more/differently?

10. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Maybe Lucylee would like to become a member.
    I remember this old thread, hoping the project of go-cart was a blast. My last go cart project was with a rotax 580 fan cooled:cool:

I love this site and welcome Lucylee to ponder Bill's question. You are welcome. Us here a BAT love a challenge.:bat: Here cool link.

Up here in canada, we like mayple sirop. I made a good living fixing bombardier Alpine 1's and 2's. These skidoo's are the best for mayple harvesting and bringing kids around to the taffee table.

Had fun with a auction in 1998 and bought 18 swiss army bombardier scandics. Old memories but still fresh. :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015