2017 Ram 2500HD Oil

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by cw41, Jul 25, 2017.

1. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ram
    MODEL:bighorn
    YEAR:2017
    MILES:5500
    ENGINE:6.7
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....I've run into conflicting issues on what type of oil to use. We are always above 0 deg so cummins recommended 15-40 Valvoline premium blue. The dealer where we bought it has no idea what they use other than 15-40. According to cummins, since I have an oil cooler running synthetic would be a waste of money but could not elaborte before we hung up. The manual says shell rotella 15-40 above 0 deg and I believe 5-40 if you live in the artic. Any comments are appreciated as I've never owned a diesel. should I change the oil before the 15k interval because of the engine break-in? Cummins says dont worry about it?? thank you

2. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    As a ex-Chrysler factory service rep experienced in how to turn down warranty claims, cover yourself and only do exactly what Chrysler recommends to protect your warranty.

3. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

the manual says use shell rotella 15-40, cummins says valvoline 15-40. thankyou

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

First that sounds like a nice piece of equipment -bighorn With a Cummins.... Ca Ching.

Both those oils mentioned would get a thumbs up from me BUT-
    As jack said* its important to go with the manual suggestions, I am surprised the manual mentioned a brand specific Shell Rotella. Often they hide a real answer in meeting specifications ie API xyz.

Who is doing the regular oil changes - if the dealer an independent or yourself would have me seeing what they will be using and seeing if agreeable.
    The dealer is one scenario but you doing your self will be a big difference.
    SO who will be doing the oil changes?

* "what Chrysler recommends" notice he said CHRYSLER there the one's who warranties this.

PS: an extra early oil change on a new engine - I always do that, I'm old school why not?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

I plan on doing the oil chg myself and save the receipts. The dealer dont know what they use so i cannot trust them they might put in 5-30 car oil. I'm going to change it at 7500 to get the break in stuff out then they say go by the monitor. I'm not comfortable with that either. 15k on a diesel between oil changes seems excessive to me. thank you

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Keep perfect and good receipts.

7. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

thank you I will.

8. LynnM

LynnM Sr. Member

Rumor is that Rotella has slightly more Zinc anti wear or it used to

9. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

thats maybe why the manual recommends it. thanks

10. jd

jd Hero Member

Dealer Oil/Filter change on friend's 6.7 Dodge just cost about $400, so there's a lot of opportunity to save some bucks here! I hear only good about Rotella when used in its proper application.

Would be doing the same thing you want to - Your own work. When I had a new Toyota under warranty, I bought the recommended OIL wherever I could get the best price. But i went to the Dealer for OEM Oil Filters. I was already saving enough (plus convenience of not taking the car to them) that I didn't want any quibble over the brand of Filter. Found one on Amazon that "MIGHT" be it. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chry...utomotive&vehicleId=23&vehicleType=automotive

11. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

the dealer charged 400 for the job? WOW!!

12. jd

jd Hero Member

Yep, $400. Learned that this past weekend on a trip to Disney. We weren't in Fantasy Land either.

That's why I say don't cheap on the filter. There's a whole Rotella Family now, so be sure to get the spec'd one or a better one if it's available.

13. cw41

cw41 Hero Member

What type/brand
    oil and fuel filters do you use?

14. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    From experience, Cummins does not care what any manufacturers say about their engines. What they say matters when it comes to warranty. If that engine fails it goes to Cummins for warranty not Chrysler

15. kev2

kev2 wrench

I was thinking about that exact scenario -
    I never heard of or was aware of a owner dealing with Cummins*....
    the truck is warrantied by Chrysler they decide in the field, A Chrysler rep not a Cummins will decide these failures., the warranty documents would have all that fine print.... I do not remember seeing Cummins mentioned as a separate warranty provider.

After the dealer and customer repair I would guess the bad engine is then a separate Chrysler Cummins concern.
    BUT as I said its in the fine print in the warranty book....

*light vehicles NOT the so called heavy, off road or commercial type....