2013 Buick Lacrosse dies in traffic

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by duesey8, Dec 27, 2016.

1. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Buick
    MODEL: Lacrosse
    YEAR: 2013
    MILES: 46000
    ENGINE: 2.4L with E-Assist
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....engine often dies while stopped in traffic but has always restarted successfully; it often idles roughly and has set check engine lamp at times. We have been told that these cars develop this issue over time and so far there is no repair for this. It performed beautifully from new until recently. The battery was replaced once and no other repairs have been needed.
    Repair or trade off?

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

Have vehicle scanned for codes even if light is off. Post ALL codes someone will suggest and explain.
    $.02 46k miles is almost broken in, it should run like new. there is warranty for major issues SO lets take a look at codes and BASICS.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

"They all do it, and there is no fix..." A classic line of BS. Is this car still under warranty?

4. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Can't be a big problem or there would have been a recall. Could be as simple as a stuck open EGR valve, but first (as Kev said) get the code or codes.

5. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

Found out since my original post: there was a recall early-on: generator control module would cause similar symptoms. plus possibly fire in the trunk. Dealer performed required service during an oil change. It may be doing it again, or it could be something different.
    It was scanned by a parts house (i.e. Autozone or similar) during a recent trip, and no codes had been set.
    Local dealer will soon have it back; I will pass along any results.

6. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

Solution: code was PO 011.00 camshaft position indicator.
    The cam actuator solenoid was shorted/bad and the dealer replaced it under warranty.
    Thanks everyone.

7. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

"dealer replaced it under warranty".....Things could only be sweeter if the dealer threw in a free car-wash...

8. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Every time I took our '97 Chev van in, whether for warranty or simple lube/oil service, it got a wash from the dealer; and it had to be done by hand because it was too big to go through the local car-wash. That was their policy, but once it got "forgotten" because it had to be done by hand. It got recalled by the Service Manager just for a wash, and thereafter he made sure "must wash" was boldly added to all future shop orders. No, I had never met this guy before buying the van. There are some good dealers.

9. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Ok, NO, this is not a one time fix. The cam actuators will do it again, and the real fix is replacing the cam actuator oil passage filters.

VERY known issue but ignored by gm. The oil valve solenoid filters get gunked up. The fix for GM whilst under waranty is to put in new ones, you can tell by the mass stock they have of those on the shelves. After the warranty done, you get to pay now.

This is from a tech who worked for gm. Our bosses sewed our mouth's shut for this known issue.

See link below or do your own research. Easy to spot a flailing 'we do not want a recall'

http://www.underhoodservice.com/oil-related-engine-codes-vvt-engines/

10. jd

jd Hero Member

Scary quote from the link nickb2 posted above:
    According to a recent API survey of more than 1,800 oil samples purchased from bulk dispenser tanks in quick lube shops across the U.S., nearly 20% (one out of five!) failed to meet API standards. Either the viscosity was incorrect or the additive package failed to meet the claimed performance level.

I'm taking this as a reason to keep:

1. Changing my own oil, and

2. Continuing to dislike the Oil Shops

oddone1975 likes this.
  11. Silverstone90

Silverstone90 Newbie

Have you checked the fuel pump?

12. duesey8

duesey8 Full Member

UPDATE: car set another code so back to the dealer. Entire timing chain was found worn out and chain and guides were replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

13. Silverstone90

Silverstone90 Newbie

I hope that fixes the problem.

14. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Why do you think this happened? I quite working for GM just because of this. It is not normal for so many cars with this system on board to fail. Me, as a tech, I was asked to BS all my clients until warranty ran out. The majority of eco techs I had to fix were all due to bad engineering in the lubrication dept, Compound this this with direct ignition, try to shut the mouth of a real tech who has to fix this crap day in and day out.

That was my rant of the day, GM sucks large in respect to actually fixing, they just replace everything and keep on producing. At one point, I was replacing timing chains and guides on a daily basis, good for my pay check, not so good for the client.

15. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So here is the low down. Again in the lubrication dept, when the guides fail, all that plastic fall down into the oil sump pump. What goes up must come down. Then the actuators for the VVT code. The screens for the actuators are full of carbon or teflon from the guides.

At this point, your engine is shyte. So, again, known issue from GM. So, like I said before, full time replacing actuators and timing components for a VERY known issue.