2005 Toyota Corolla intermittently won't start.

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by BenWilloughby, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BenWilloughby

BenWilloughby Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Toyota
    MODEL:Corolla
    YEAR:2005
    MILES:165,000

In the last 2 months the car will intermittently won't start. Indicator lights stay on and lights stay on when trying to start. Doesn't even try to crank. Seems to be happening more frequently.

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Could be a park/neutral switch or if a manual, could be a clutch start switch. Make sure the starter cut relay is not malfunctioning.

I had a older model Asuna in the shop this week just for a problem like yours. Intermittent no starts and I was lucky the car happened to do the problem on my watch. It ended up being a bad Park/neutral switch. Mind you it was a 1993, but the wiring for your car seems very similar to that suzuki/asuna.

Here is a snapshot of the wiring.

Also, toyota's were notorious for bad starter solenoid contacts. The solenoid plunger contacts can be replaced without replacing the whole starter.

A rebuild kit is available for around 15$. Remove the starter solenoid cover, 3 8mm bolts and the plunger and contacts are right there. It take about 15mins to replace the contacts.

Nippon denso starters like this have always been plagued with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Nippondenso-Starters-Solenoid-Contacts/dp/B007FR89FY
    View attachment 9322

3. Silverstone90

Silverstone90 Newbie

The problem could be also caused by the battery. The connections may be loose or dirty.

4. LynnM

LynnM Sr. Member

When it happens have someone tap on the starter I would bet it will start..

5. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    I am in favor of Nickb2's idea, "Toyota's were notorious for bad starter solenoid contacts."

They seem to go out 3 or 4 times faster than the brushes. Brushes look brand new on the ones I have seen.