2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by bt4joe, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bt4joe

bt4joe Newbie

I am experiencing low power, hard shifts, transmission will not kick down for passing and climbing hills. Codes that appear on the dash by using the key is, P0299, P0125, P0700, in that order. I had the vehicle scanned 3 times, the first 2 times I got codes of P0218 & P0173, the last time it was scanned the code was a little different ending with a "D". I didn't take a picture or write them down, but it said "transmission temp intermittent". I just finished cleaning the intake and ERG valve, it was a little dirty but not horrible. I have removed the wire harness from the transmission for inspection and removed both the TCM and ECU, all plugs and wires are clean with no visible damage. The "Check Engine" light is the only light illuminated on the dash, about 4 months ago I had the trans temp light come on while trying to pull a heavy load up a steep hill, when the light came on I immediately pulled over and let the engine idle in neutral until the light went out, unlocked the trailer and hired someone to haul it the rest of the way home. Until 2 weeks ago I didn't have any issues or light on the dash, when the light came on it was while driving in town at slow speeds, under 40 mph.

My question is. Would the p0218 cause the low power issue and will replacing the transmission solenoid pack solve my problem, or could it be a speed sensor that went bad? In an online drawing I seen a wire diagram that shows the temp sender wire goes through the speed sensors.

Attached Files:

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I'm not believing that schematic you posted, at least as it is marked-up. I can think of no way the TFT sensor (a thermistor) could work in cahoots with one of the speed sensors.

Perhaps somebody else has a schematic from a different source. If nothing else, how about posting that schematic again in its original form?

3. bt4joe

bt4joe Newbie

This is the only diagram like this I have seen on the net. I also questioned its credibility, I do not have access to any other wiring diagrams and its hard to find someone here that can supply me with more info. I am down here in Mexico, I do not speak any Spanish so I have my wife translate for me. The local Jeep dealership told my wife that Jeep never made a liberty diesel. How I found the diagram, I searched "wiring diagram for 545FRE solenoid pack". I will try to find the source of the diagram I posted.

4. bt4joe

bt4joe Newbie

[​IMG]
    P0714-TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR INTERMITTENT
    (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

(Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
    • Go To 2

No
    • Go To 4

(Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE/TRANS SOLENOID/TRS ASSY - REMOVAL)

No
    • Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN.
    • Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

(Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 45RFE/545RFE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

No
    • Test Complete.

I found another similar diagram by searching "transmission temperature intermittent 545rfe"

5. billr

Okay, that most recent schematic shows no connection between the TFT sensor and VSS, as we expected.

So, do you have live-data? That should be *reasonably* available for this OBD2 and will save a lot of guessing.

Clarify: does the "experiencing low power" mean that the trans isn't shifting, or that the engine is also now low on power considering the gear the trans is in (whether or not it is the desired gear)?

6. bt4joe

bt4joe Newbie

I do not have my scanner so I am relying on others to help me pull codes. The scanners that they are using are like nothing I have ever seen, I don't know if they have the ability to pull live data or they just don't know how. Auto repair here is cheap, everyone shoots from the cuff with an extremely low price, but you have no idea what kind of job you will get. The trick here is to keep the customer coming back until they replace the part that actually caused the problem. For example, torque to yield head bolts need to be replaced with new when installing head gaskets, but you can not find anyone that sells them here. In fact some mechanics even reuse the old head gaskets, every mechanic shop has a liberal supply of copper spray-a-gasket on hand. Today I am going to replace the Solenoid Pack since the reoccurring code seems to be the transmission temp sensor high or intermittent. I will post my results.

7. billr

Is the TFT sensor part of the Solenoid Pack? I know nothing about that type trans, but would expect the solenoids to be inside the pan, part of valve body, and the TFT sensor to be screwed into a port on the outside of the trans case.