2003 Lincoln Town Car Cooling Fan runs constantly while engine running

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Carl59, Oct 21, 2017.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Yeah JD, I think I wrote that in reply # 10 and asked for confirmation from colleagues here, so thx for that. SO I guess my memory is not failing so much at 42yrs of age. :D

Also, JD, I like that work around in the above post. I was not aware that they had made a nice wire in kit for this. It goes to show that this is a known issue with ford on these fan assemblies which also house the module/relay which as you so aptly wrote (serviced as an assembly).

I like that work around better than cutting a rad hose and fitting a thermo switch in. This kit has one that excites the relay and has a wired in fuse too. Way less hassle than doing that as I used to do myself.

I am just wondering where that thermo/ect sensor goes and will it bypass the PCM internal reading of the actual ford ect sensor. I am going on the assumption that the PCM will code if the actual ect sensor is not being seen. Maybe it would be nice to splice in the OEM two wire harness to the new thermal switch so both the new relay substitute patch and the PCM can read the actual engine temps. I hope what I just wrote made sense.

2. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    When I did my patch in's when the fan module melted on these cars I would wire in my own relay and fuse and leave the original ECT in case the PCM wasn't fried enough to not see the engine temps and would not code a ECT obd2 code.

Anyway, OP has confirmed that the module is most probably on the fritz
    There is no serviceable fan relay here.

Read the above posts. Since JD forgot to throw in a link to that cheap wire in kit, here it is, it is 27$.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3843708&jsn=3

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Yes that would be sufficient.

BTW guys, I am having great success with my samsung galaxy tablet and some free software for android I found here and there on the net. With my el cheapo ELM327 bluetooth dongle, I am able to see trans codes, abs and such and even some live data for these systems. But they only seem to work for models 2000 and up. Anything under will only see engine live data and cannot read other systems such airbag, abs and such.

So next update will be in a proper thread I will dedicate to that in the forum automotive product and the infamous tips for beginners I started way back when and forgot to update in a long while. I will provide all links to the cheapest stuff I bought and current software versions I am using and also which manufacturers let me see what.

I will also include what I use for my laptop, using the same dongle. Of course, a laptop is better as it reads more pids in real time if you have a I7 cpu for example. The samsung galaxy tablet only has 2 cores and runs at something like 1.1ghz.

My current service laptop runs a I5 cpu @ 3.1ghz, so it is blazing fast compared to the slow galaxy thing, so I can opt for many PID's at once without any lag in the live data, where as the tablet will lag after choosing only five pids or more. Not so good for catching a glitch in the misfire dept for example.

So as not to hijack this thread any further. I have found some interesting stuff and have been field testing it at my shop since I am now the lead diagnostic tech there and see check engine light all day long.

This way, I have been able to determine what it good compared to my professional scanners I use and made a short list of what to buy and download to make a very sufficient home DIYer scanner that beats any Walmart code reader for almost the same price. So wait for the new thread I will create soon for the list of what probably many of you almost have already.

4. jd

jd Hero Member

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

I would be tempted to try taping sensor to radiator hose and maybe adding some insulation on top of the tape.

6. jd

jd Hero Member

Sounds like a plan. There's "PressTite" tape that's sort of a cork insulator. Used to keep brass A/C fittings from sweating, stuff like that. I'd be thinking the outer layer of tape would have some of that "as seen on TV" stuff that holds under high temp and pressure.