2001 chevrolet p1711 trouble code

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by scottb, Aug 4, 2007.

1. scottb

scottb Newbie

im having problems with my truck 2001 chevroet 2500 4x4 8.1 liter with an allison when i scan it it pulls up the code p1711 and p0700 the trans is shifting early and sometimes it will take off in 2nd gear instead of first and the d on the gear indicator will flash it has right at 95000 miles on it any help would be appreciated thanks scott

2. crunch

crunch wrench

Wiring or pressure switch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

3. Transman

Transman Receptionist & Complaint Dept.

Home Page:
    Before you get too far, please check and/or replace the PNP switch (New name for neutral switch), These cause problems from no start, missing, and shift problems. Remove the connector, if you can, and check for corrosion. Replace it on general principal then go about normal diagnosis. don't forget the basics, fluid level, color, smell, and a good operating engine. Post back, Transman

4. scottb

scottb Newbie

i replaced the range mode switch first it had three codes after replacing it it still has the code 0700 and 1711 and the truck still flashes the d on the indicator and starts off in 2nd what are these codes saying the problem is thanks

5. Transman

Home Page:
    When you replaced the switch, did you check the connections also? The ignition switch has a history here also. If the connections at the PNP switch are good then check the other grounds also, don't forget the battery. Then run the map for that code. Post back, Transman

6. scottb

scottb Newbie

i replaced the fluid pressure switch and the a and b solinoides changed the fluids cranked tlhe truck put it gear check engine light came on instantly test drove only had 3rd gear no first second or overdrive scanned it same o7oo 1711 codes

7. crunch

crunch wrench

Are you doing any testing or just replacing? :)

8. Transman

Home Page:
    This is the expensive way to repair your vehicle. The only part that I recommend replacing on GP is the Range switch as it is a common failure item. You need to follow the chart and actually test components before you replace. Sorry, but any boob can throw parts at a problem but it won't fix a wiring problem or a bad ground. We are trying to help you "Fix" your problem not shotgun it with parts. Post back, Transman

9. EricC

EricC Hero Member

Shop Foreman, County Garage
    Home Page:
    This is a 4WD. Any sign of fluid leaking from the adapter housing on the rear of the transmission? Those housings were known to crack and allow debris to get inside the transmission. For some reason, the debris seems to collect in the E shift valve bore, if memory serves me correctly. Do you have a scan tool where you can read transmission data?