1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Gas- Transmission help needed BAD!

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by peaches71987, Jul 19, 2017.

1. kev2

kev2 wrench

Before we do pressure tests - 1 last hope of it being something easy........... the codes !

I am a hopeless optimist give it (above video) a try..

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Live-data, too. Nickb2, how inexpensive would it be to get live-data for this via ELM?

3. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

I gotta find the scanner tool. I'm thinking the fluid may not be circulating like it should. But I'm no mechanic!

4. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Ok trans temp and maintenance required. That's what I got???

5. kev2

kev2 wrench

trans temp and maintenance required - let us know the code #s easier to access troubleshooting that way.

6. bp042665

bp042665 hunting nut

ok this has a A518 Trans same as mine look right before the radiator bottom cooler line there is a 1 way valve they get stuck i take them out

7. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Test driving now... Possible fix!!! Changing the filter for the 3rd time... But I'm not complaining at all!!!!

8. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    @billr, I don't know about the elm327 for getting extensive trans data since before 2001 chrysler was still in CCD bus. With an EATX program on PCI bus line, it may work, but really not sure for prior to 2001.

The EATX stuff I saw only did 2001-2007 till they (mopar) switched again to CAN bus in 2008. 2001-2007 used the J1850 VPW bus.

9. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

And it's changing GREAT! I gotta get a cooler for the transmission but I'm tickled to death! Thank u all for the info... Much love! Yall are awesome! My mom would be proud it's not tore up she loved my truck and that's why it's sentimental and my dad would be proud because I worked on it myself.... Thank u all again.

10. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Confirm: the fix seems to be removing the check-valve near the bottom of the radiator?

11. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

No sir! I just bought another new transmission filter ($6-$7) and changed it out.

12. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Well, I am a bit surprised at this outcome. I would have expected some sort of previous symptoms such as whine in reverse as line pressure increases or harsh shifting and what would that magnet in pan look like? Must have been a mess in there??!!.

To have a so severely clogged filter to the point where the pump is starved of fluid that it won't shift anymore due to lack of line pressure indicates a crazy sick transmission. I hate to be the guy that says this, but that tranny is on its last legs. Your joy will be very short lived.

But as long as your happy, what can we say. Don't this truck already have a cooler? I am sure it does. In fact I know it does. So if you need a new one, is it because it too is clogged? Just another sign of a very worn trans. Usually a reverse flush of the cooler does the trick. No need to spend money on a new one unless it is pierced or bent due to impact damage.

Anyway, like I said before, as long as your happy.

13. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    The only times I EVER do a tranny cooler flush is after a major mechanical failure of a trans. I would never put in a new or rebuilt trans with a previous major breakdown without doing a flush of cooler and line. Just to make sure any debris from lets say a planetary gear failure, or a satellite, or just plain broken segments etc do not make their way back into the new unit.

The only times I have seen cooler blockage, or filter blockage like this is when internal parts have disinterested to point of clogging said parts and usually the client comes back very shortly just to have us install a new rebuilt unit or they just say good buy to the car/truck cuz at this point it is not worth it.

Ok, I think I have pissed on your parade enough. But don't say I didn't warn you.

The adaptive memory of these older trucks were quite limited. They (adaptive memory) could account for some wear and tear, but nothing compared to today's tranny's. I would expect some very weird shifting in the future.

Once the new fluid and filter will have captured all the remaining debris, what will account for the clearances that maybe may be seeming to shift normally or "great" as you say? The gunk that clogged your trans filter and possibly cooler did not come from outer-space. It came from the inside of your trans.

Watch this video. Eric the car guy makes great videos.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  14. peaches71987

peaches71987 Newbie

Nickb2, maybe lasting me long enough to get another 1 anyways. And I will take ur advice on the cooler. The magnet wasn't really bad to my surprise!

15. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    If your wondering what trans adaptive memory is, it is a algorithm inside the TCM (transmission control module) that adapts shifting by using input and output sensors and TCC and temp sensor to adapt shift as the transmission wears and tears. Allowing the transmission to function longer with looser tolerances than as before, when TCM's did not exist. Yours is a 1998, the TCM's algorithms were at their baby steps back then.