1998 Chevy Malibu- Gas Gauge Problem

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Scottedawg, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Scottedawg

Scottedawg Jr. Member

Hello All,

I've got kind of an unusual question. Hope someone can help. first of all I have a
    1998 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 V-6, Auto Transmission, w/ A/c

Okay. The gas gauge needle has completely reversed itself for some reason. Instead of it sitting
    in the peg by the "E" empty it has reversed itself and is now under the peg that it used to rest on.

Is there anyway to get the needle back around again to rest on top of the peg? Does this make sense?
    it's really hard to explain unless you see it. I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Scott E. Dawg

2. jasonn20

jasonn20 Hero Member

I think this would take some further investigation on your part. I would probably remove the instrument cluster and then take it to a work bench or kitchen table with a towel. Remove the clear cover from it and investigate whether the needle has simply come loose or is it damaged.

3. Gus

Gus wrench

Have seen this happen sometimes, when someone disconnects/reconnects a battery, with the ignition left in the "run" position....

On some dashes, there is a reset "button" in the cluster for the odometer.....sometimes you can stick a wire in through there to move the needle...other alternative, is to remove the I/P trim and drill a very small hole, that will be covered by the trim......then stick a wire through the hole and rotate the needle around the pin.......beats pulling the cluster......

4. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Gus is exactly correct. I have had to do it on my 98 Chev Malibu when replacing the battery. I pushed it counter clockwise thought the trip rest button hole. Once it is back over center it will fall down to empty and all will be well. I assume it must be a surge from installing a new battery and the alternator or whatever kicking it over there. Anyway, that is all you have to do.

5. Scottedawg

Scottedawg Jr. Member

fixed Gus... you're an F'n genius. That worked perfect...I'm buying a BAT hat and a BAT T-Shirt ... Thanks again
    you Guys have always helped me ...

Scott E. Dawg

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Glad you got it. I know it was a real puzzle when I had it happened to me. An electrical shop told me what to do.