1995 Pontiac Grand Am a 'cross-over' car?; OBD I or II?

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by yvonbug, Apr 25, 2007.

1. yvonbug

yvonbug Newbie

My car has a connector of 12 pins, which would make it a OBD I type, and it says that it's OBD I certified under the hood. But, even tho I have an Innova scanner thats a combo OBD I & II, I haven't been able to read the codes. The pins in the connector are not the same as the common description. It doesn't have a 'B' pin, just an 'A' pin and 2 below for 'L' and 'M'. How can I read my codes? My car's check engine light comes on rather frequently, and it's really starting to sound sick. Has anyone been able to read the codes off a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am? It has a 3.1L engine

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

If it has a connector like this one it is an OBD1....just take a paper clip or something and ground it between "A" and "B"...and turn the key on and see if it blinks the codes...Jim..........

[attachment deleted by admin]

3. Gus

Gus wrench

Jim, he can't flash codes on this OBD I vehicle, because there is no "B" terminal......this was a transition year for GM, most scanners can't read this vehicle....in FACT, OUR TECH I'S COULDN'T READ THEM EITHER, until we got a special adapter for the Tech I's.....the Tech II's could read them without the adapter.....

4. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Sorry Gus...I misread it...I thought he said he HAD an "A" and "B" terminal....I see now when I reread it he doesn't....Thanks for correcting that....Jim