1993 subaru legacy clutch problem

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by Mark bridgewater, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Mark bridgewater

Mark bridgewater Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: subaru
    MODEL:legacy
    YEAR:1993
    MILES:209,000
    ENGINE:2.2
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Hi thanks for helping ...my '93 legacy (5 speed manual) transmission is not moving when put into any gear and releasing the clutch peddle. Ive check the master cylinder and there are no signs of any leakage and fluid seems to be good. Ive tried starting the car putting the ebrake on putting into 2nd third and forth gear and releasing clutch peddle and the car doesnt stall . I notice its difficult getting it into 1st gear also. Im thinking clutch but need some qualified advice. Thanks

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Check that the shift arms on the trans are being moved by the shift cables/rods. I assume there are no "strange noises", but also check that an axle isn't broken.

3. Mark bridgewater

Mark bridgewater Newbie

Thanks billr i appreciate your input. These " shift arms " are they visible from the underneath side or are they inside the transmission? Also any suggestions on why its difficult to put onto first gear ? 2nd -5th gear seem to be good . Thanks again .

4. billr

They should be on the outside of the trans. I'm not sure about your specific vehicle, but outside is where they have generally been for the last 60 yrs. These first inspections will be a "get under and dirty" process, but no disassembly yet. (Please use sturdy supports for the car while you are under there!)

Do I understand correctly, it goes into 2nd-5th, but won't move the car in any gear? If so, then let's ignore the difference in shifting for now. In fact, that is another hint to me that the arms really aren't moving correctly.

I am focused on things other than the clutch because usually clutch problems, especially with the hydraulics, result in the opposite problem; the vehicle will move (or engine stall) even when the pedal is depressed to dis-engage the clutch.

5. Mark bridgewater

Mark bridgewater Newbie

Correct sir car does not move in any gear 2nd-5th shifts fine. First is very difficult in fact if I put a little force the shifter seems to move at an angle toward the location of 2nd gear. However i cant tell if its even in first gear. I would like to try fixing this myself and i have some mechanical expereince but would like to locate a step by step manual of what has to come off in what order if it is indeed the clutch. Only because here in my city its difficult finding an honest technition to give me a a true diagnosis.

6. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Haynes offers a step by step book for your car. Or you could buy a alldata subscription for one year.

Sure sounds like a internal problem. What is odd is that 2nd and 5th share a different fork and rod. Is this a awd turbo 2.2l or just a regular 2.2 fwd?

Here is a removal guide for the trans if your is a 4wd.

Attached Files:

7. billr

Did you take a peek to see if the arms are moving? The next step would be disconnecting the shift cables/rods at the trans so that those arms can be moved manually. They should click into "detented" positions. By various combinations of how those arms are moved, every gear should be selectable manually, such that you can make the car move again.

You have to be wary, though, some combinations of the arm positions may select two gears at once, which will lock up the trans. You will feel the engine stall as you let out the clutch pedal, don't continue to keep engaging the clutch if there is no indication of the wheels trying to turn. It is probably best to try this with the drive wheels off the ground, so that it is quickly apparent if the trans is locked.

8. Mark bridgewater

Mark bridgewater Newbie

Thank you , yes its a non turbo all wheel drive. I'm gonna have a little faith in myself and pull the engine so I can get a good look and if need be replace the clutch or whatever need replacing. Thank you I will keep you posted on my progress.

9. billr

Have you done any of the checks at the shift arms that I mentioned? I would hate to hear you pulled the engine and only find it was the linkage...

10. Mark bridgewater

Mark bridgewater Newbie

Hi billr , i havent checked linkage only because i had a tranny man out here to look at it this weekend and im still confussed as to what he truthfully found out all he said was new clutch. He did check the clutch cable , adjusted it and git a tiny bit of movement. Im not familiar with how to check linkage.

11. billr

Well, any competent tech, especially one specializing in transmissions, should have done all the checks I asked for. You either have to trust that opinion, or get a 2nd.

12. fordtech1

fordtech1 Newbie

you have to full down transmission. the clutch disc is the really caused