1992 toyota corolla intermittent starting problem

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by artsam, Dec 5, 2008.

1. artsam

artsam Newbie

Hello,
    92 corolla has an interrmittent problem with no cranking. I can jump the starter (bypass the single wire that connects to starter solenoid, and use a jumper connected to battery) and will start. New neutral switch, and starter. I'm leaning toward the electrical connection behind the key switch (new switch). For quite awhile with this car, when the key is turned toward start, if you go all the way clockwise it will not engage, if you back off slightly it will engage. Now (last month or so) sometimes it will start sometimes not. I figure that the contacts in this unit may have worn down over time.
    Step-daughters car who can't afford any better and I keep this going as long as we need to.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,
    Art

2. al daniels

al daniels wrench

you might have just answered your own question.

3. PaulPR

PaulPR Newbie

Worn starter contacts are a classic problem w/ middle aged Toyotas. Over the years I've replaced them on my '82 Tercel, '91 Camry and '96 Tacoma. It's a pretty straightforward DIY job. My local wrecking yard also has an electrical shop. Seem's like I paid $15 for the two contacts last time around. You can get them for much less online if you're willing to wait.

Good Luck - Paul

4. workinonit2305

workinonit2305 Newbie

I am having this same problem with my 1991 Geo Prism (same as the Corolla). Has 160k miles on the clock and is starting to act up. I will tell you what, when gas was $4 a gallon it was the best $1100 I ever spent - lol. Thanks guys for the good info.