1970 Ford Mustang Overheating

Make
Ford
Model
Mustang
Year
Miles
Engine
Ive got a 1970 Mustang 302 4bbl and was driving yesterday for about 15 min and noticed the temp
gauge higher than normal, got it home and it was overheating. Today ran the engine with the cap off
and brought it to temp, never seen any fluid circulating mostly trying to come out of the filler port.
Could it be a clogged radiator? I dont drive it all the time maybe once every couple weeks depending
on the weather
Thanks Mark

billr

wrench
Staff member
Sure, the radiator could be clogged, but there are a lot of other possibilities. Do you know the history of this car, especially any work that has been done on the cooling system? Have you drained out a bit of coolant to see what it looks like? When you observed it "overheating", what does that mean? Did you put a temp gauge in the coolant to get an actual reading?

Hot but no coolant movement in the radiator may mean that thermostat is not opening to allow flow.
I would second that.
Ive got a 1970 Mustang 302 4bbl and was driving yesterday for about 15 min and noticed the temp
gauge higher than normal, got it home and it was overheating. Today ran the engine with the cap off
and brought it to temp, never seen any fluid circulating mostly trying to come out of the filler port.
Could it be a clogged radiator? I dont drive it all the time maybe once every couple weeks depending
on the weather
Thanks Mark
Did the engine have pinging sounds when you turned it off? If so, that would confirm a stuck closed thermostat. Those pings are boiling coolant exploding inside the block and or cylinder heads. It would also confirm you have to little antifreeze to water ratio.