07 silverado po449 emissions code

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by razingnut, Jul 25, 2009.

1. razingnut

razingnut Newbie

is this covered by the dealer ? how can i repair it ?

2. Gus

Gus wrench

If under 36K miles, and under 36 months......covered....

Does it have California emissions? If yes, the part may be covered.....

3. razingnut

razingnut Newbie

It"s about 39k miles . I live in NJ . Not sure what the vent control circut is ? I found this code with a freinds scanner < & it said it was intermitant .

4. Gus

Gus wrench

You are out of the new vehicle warranty.....however, if the vehicle has California emissions, the part may be covered....

This code has to do with the vent solenoid circuit......anything in the circuit, can cause the problem(VCM, wiring, solenoid, etc.)....

5. razingnut

razingnut Newbie

I just stopped at the dealer . they said it is not covered on my vehichle . what is the vent control selinoid and where is it located . I used to wrench but it"s been a long time since I"ve been involved with any electronic parts . but I still know my way around .

6. NickD

NickD wrench

It's a normally open valve back by the tank that releases pressure in the tank through a carbon filter. Tank pressures can get very great as the sun rises, this valve vents the tank when the key is off. With engine running, this vent is closed, the PO449 code primarily looks at the voltage to this valve, could be low, check it with a voltmeter. In some circumstances could also be the PCM, may need reflashed. Could also be the in-tank pressure sensor, when the PCM plays it's testing game, it's looking for a positive pressure, purge looks for a negative, really don't know until you test.

I had an evaporator code a couple of months ago, it never came back, helps to have a manual to tell you how to conduct all the tests. I didn't find anything wrong. Could be just a glitch.

7. EricC

EricC Hero Member

Shop Foreman, County Garage
    Home Page:
    The vent solenoid valve is coded "E" in the labor time guide and covered by emissions warranty for 8 yrs or 80k miles. If the valve has been diagnosed by your dealer, they should be covering it.