04 cavalier intermittent fuel pump

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by GMC guy, May 14, 2017.

1. GMC guy

GMC guy Hero Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Chev
    MODEL: Cavalier
    YEAR:2004
    MILES:160
    ENGINE:2.2
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Car runs for a week, then get in to start...no start, just crank. Tow truck time. One day i wiggled the fuel relay and had pressure gauge connected to the fuel port. The pressure would go to 60 psi and car would run. I wiggle it again and pressure starts to drop and car stalls. I pulled the relay box apart and got the wires out and put them on the relay. I still didnt get pressure. now i thought that was the problem. It is not. I keep reading that there is a connector by the kick panel. I looked, and there is not a connector there. I guess i'll be testing the relay wires..Thanks in advance!

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

I am a little confused -
    Lets start with the wiggling - you are in the underhood fuse box and shaking the fuel pump relay ?
    You pulled the relay box apart - did you remove the fuse box and inspect wiring?

Sounds like an issue with underhood fuse box - corrosion maybe? Ign sw, not energizing circuit, bad relay A test light and a jumper should help isolate missing circuit,

keep in mind
    The system will only energize the fuel pump relay @2seconds if eng is not running - so if vehicle does not start by the time you get to check realy the relay is commanded off.

Attached Files:

3. GMC guy

GMC guy Hero Member

4. GMC guy

GMC guy Hero Member

Yes, i was under the hood at the relay. Ill have to check behind the fuse box too. When the car is moved the fuel pump will work. Same thing for when it sits. The car will not start at some point. I never had it stall while driving. It seems like a connector is loose somewhere. I also found a mind boggling amount of wires under the driver side dash. A remote starter was installed at some point. But thanks for the info. Ill post back, once i have time to get at it again.