'00 Ply Neon won't start...

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by Kelly, May 5, 2007.

1. Kelly

Kelly Guest

Over 100k miles on it... The day before It shut down I had ran it pretty low on fuel. Once filling it up, I came home and washed the car. Next moring it doesn't start. When you try and start it, its not lugging or clicking like a dead battery. I just doesn't want to fire.

I also had the timing belt worked on about a year ago. After having my car for over 2 months I got frustrated w/ the mechanic. The mechanic said there was a piece inside the timing belt, that would give me trouble it didnt get fixed. At the moment I'm not sure what it is.

So heres what I plan on doing today. I going to remove the calbes from my battery to try and reset the sensors. I've already bought new spark plugs, (it needed it). I'm not sure if they are even catching a spark, so tonight I'm going to try that. I'm also going to see about buying something that will remove the water from my fuel.

I also wanted to know if there are two fuel filters one inside the gas take, and one on the outside. If anyone has any suggestions, any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks again.

Jason

2. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

It only has one fuel filter......A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is used on all gas powered engines. It is located on the top of the fuel pump module. A separate frame mounted fuel filter is not used.....You can change the filter without removing the tank or module.....Have someone get down by the fuel tank and turn the key on and see if you can hear the pump run when the key is first turned on....Jim

3. jd2

jd2 Full Member

Are you saying it cranks good but won't start, or it won't crank? If it cranks good but won't start, have somebody crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs. If you have plenty of spark, check the fuel system.

You don't have that Mobil Speedpass tag on your key ring, do you? Sometimes they can cause problems with the theft system.

4. Jason

Jason Guest

I'm going to check the spark plugs again, but it didn't seem to be sparking when I checked it last.

5. Jason

Jason Guest

Yeah, definitely seems to be no spark coming from spark plugs. Just replaced those, so they're brand new. Also got my battery recharged so that shouldn't be the problem. Cranked engine while listening to fuel tank and it seems to be pumping. Don't know what else it could be. Possibly the timing belt, but don't know much about cars so don't know how to go about this. More help would be great.

6. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

First thing you might want to do is check all the fuses..The ones in the fuse panel under the dash and the ones under the hood....Jim

7. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Hero Member

This engine should be a 2.0 SOHC for this year. To check the timing belt to see if the cam is turning take the plug out of the hole on the top of the timing cover and have someone turn the engine over and see if the cam is turning. If it is then it is not what is causing the no spark condition. If it isn't turning then you will have to replace the timing belt. Good luck!! Greasemonkey :)

8. jd2

jd2 Full Member

If you have no spark anywhere, check the wiring harness connector at the coil pack. The terminal for the dark green/orange wire should be hot all the time with the engine cranking. You can use a test lite. Can you check for codes?

9. Charlesmac

Charlesmac Newbie

since you have removed the cables to reset the sensors, unfortunately this cleared the codes out,so you cant have it scanned for code which would really help. I would check the (camshaft interrupter magnet) some people call a camshaft posisition sensor,which reads posisition of cam to piston for fireing, believe it mounted on rear end of head, not positive. Also check the crankshaft posisition sensor they both have to make the thing fire. not posisitive on this one could be on front of engine or on side to the rear. be very careful checking these and dont break them get rather expensive. Maby one on the techs on here can explain to you how to check them for I not to familiar with crysler products. good luck.