Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: #2 & #3 cyl missing on 1999 Camry 4 cyl 2.2  (Read 2518 times)

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
#2 & #3 cyl missing on 1999 Camry 4 cyl 2.2
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Hi Guys:
My friend filled his almost empty gas tank on his '99 Camry 4cyl 2.2 and went about 1/2 block and engine started missing. He suspects bad gas.  I don't think so because the miss is so constant and only seems to miss under load. I also doubt (although possible) that the potentially bad gas would have got into the engine in 1/2 block.

3 weeks prior to that he left the oil cap off and threw oil around the engine compartment. That meant it got on the fuel injector wiring loom and spark plug wires.

I pulled codes PO300 (#3 missfire), PO302(#2 missfire), PO303(random missfire). Does this mean it has to be electrical and not fuel?  I put my timing light on all 4 spark plug wires and with engine under load and missing noticed the  #1 & #4 seemed to fire evenly and #2 &#3 skipped lighting once and awhile, #3 being the worst.  Also there is a small backfire, popping when it does miss.

Cleaned engine. Spark plugs and spark plug wires are fairly new and look clean and not at all oil soaked. Checked under the spark plug covers and there was no oil or water in those 6 inch deep spark plug holes. The coils did not get oiled. But I noticed #3 and #2 come off the same coil and I am suspicious of the coil but do not know how to check it with my primitive tools.

He added a bottle of Chevron Techroline just for good measure.

Any suggestions?  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:54:58 PM by JackC »
Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: #2 & #3 cyl missing on 1999 Camry 4 cyl 2.2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Swap that coil for the other one and see if the mis-fires move to the other cylinders.

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
Billr:  Are they swapable?   I noticed on Autozone parts and Rock auto that they are two different ones.  Although some parts stores have one for both 2-3 and 1-4.  Maybe just a mounting issue??
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:07:07 PM by JackC »

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
I really don't know; I assumed the two coils on an engine would be the same.  Wait for nickb2 to chime in, he will know...

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »
Billr:  I'm sure you are right, someone will know if they are swapable. 

They will also know if I can leave them attached to their original location and just switch the input looms and coil wires.
Or will I have to remove them  in case there is some hidden connection behind them that requires physically moving- swapping them.

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »
Not Toyota or any other parts places know "for sure" why there are two part numbers and two prices for the two coil packs that everybody agrees are interchangeable.  A Tech friend of mine that works on Toyotas all the time said maybe because they have had so much trouble with their coils the numbers are different on the newer "improved" coils, and prices are all over the board or have not cought up?????. Also some have the wire numbers on them. He replaces "lots" of these coils packs. 

Bottom line, any of them will work in either place, like Billr assumed all the time. We switched coils and have decided that we will replace the one that the miss follows.

Thanks. Over and out.  Jack

Offline Paul

• BAT Admin
  • wrench
  • I'm The Decider
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:43 PM »
Jack,I think the almost empty gas tank may have something to do with this.The fuel injectors have very fine inlet screens on them and I have seen them clog up more than once where people run the fuel tank empty or close to it and never have replaced the fuel filter.I've seen it twice on the same truck and after 2 separate times of cleaning the screens on the injectors the owner paid for the fuel filter R&R.They will run fine at idle,Put a load on the engine and it will feel like its running on one or two cylinders.Inquire whether the fuel filter has ever been replaced.If the answer is no then I would suspect the injector screens are clogged up on the misfire cylinders.

Secondary coil resistance:
Cold 9.7 - 16.7 K Ohms
Hot 12.4 - 19.6 K Ohms

Look for hairline cracks on the coil presenting the problem.It may require a magnifying glass to locate.

The coils are the same,its how they are mounted that changes their design and part numbers.Both run about $96 from Toyota.
Want A Donkeys Attention Bring A Pole Down Between It's Ears

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
FIXED.  It was the 2-3 coil pack.  Thanks for the replies.
Jack

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
Can you clarify the "different mounting" and P/N issue?  It would seem if you could swap them they must be pretty much identical, in mounting and all...

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Billr:  Every parts guy from Toyota to all the other parts stores I talked to and their parts books were confussed. 

But my Toyota Tech friend that works on them all day long and now myself agree that they are ALL interchangeable regardless of part #.

To demonstrate how confussing it is, The part listed in the non-OEM parts cat. that I bought for 2-3 cyl was marked 1-4, but also in the book said it's for both. Go figure.

Again, they are all interchangeable and look identical and bolt up and hook up just fine.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
OK, got it.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.