Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD multiple problems  (Read 8157 times)

Offline Bobman

2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD multiple problems
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Hello all,

I'm hoping that I can get some information here to help me understand what's going on with my wifes car.  First, the car is a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD Touring model, 6 speed automatic transmission, 4. 0 litre engine, all factory stock with 34k miles.  We purchased it with 28k miles on it as a "dealer certified car" from the original selling dealership.  The only reoccurring issue has been with a slow leak in the left front tire causing it to lose air pressure very slowly (a couple of lbs over 3 months) for which the car has been back to the dealership 3 times to be "repaired", the last time they removed the tire, cleaned the rim, replaced the sensor, and remounted the tire.

Over the holiday weekend we had our kids in the car and were travelling on the Thruway at ~75 mph when the right rear tire blew without warning.  I immediately pulled to the side of the road but had to drive about 800 feet to get to a clear spot to change it.  AFTER I stopped, the TPMS system warned me that I had one tire low pressure (duh!) and I put on the spare.  We drove to the nearest service station without incident and I checked the pressure in the donut spare, which was low by 15 lbs, so I added air.  The display then showed that I should service the TPMS, which makes sense because the spare has no sensor, and the flat tire was in the back of the car.  We dicided to turn around and head for home, this is where the trouble starts.

About 30 miles into to 60 mile ride home (off the Thruway, normal 45-55 mph speeds because of the donut spare) the check engine light comes on, we also notice that the car seems to "slip" when shifing between gears and is sometimes shifting harder.  We get home, drop off the kids, and head for the dealership to have it checked.  First thing they say is that we shouldn't have driven ANYWHERE on the spare, as it's for emergency use only.  They also said that we should have had the vehicle towed immediately when the tire blew because it was an AWD vehicle, and different tire sizes on it will cause problems.  Reminder. . . .  these are Chrysler factory tires / rims and the spare that came with the car, so they *should* work together, correct? Anyway, they check the rim and say that it's OK, and replace the tire for me, after telling me that I should be replacing all 4 of them.  There is more than 1/2 treadwear left on the others still.  They then inform me that I need to pay $89 to have the code scanned before they can diagnose the other problem.  I authorize it and they come back and say that the transmission is "ruined" because I drove on the spare tire, causing the AWD to make the transmission shift improperly.  They then tell me that there is a software progarm upgrade that they can perform to the transmission to help alleviate this problem in the future, and that they will do it for me as a courtesy.  I ask them for an estimate for the repair work and they say that they can't give me an exact price until it's torn down, but figure "about $2k".  I ask about the purchased warranty that I have and they say that it's not covered due to "my neglect".  I have them change the tire, upgrade the software, and leave with the car to decide what I'm going to do.

Last night i do some Internet research and find that there are numerous problems with this transmission, and that some people have had torque converters replaced under a TSB.  Wouldn't a "certified vehicle" purchased from a dealer *along with* an extended warranty be covered under these TSB's? Also, since the spare tire is a factory item designed for that car, why would *I* be responsible for any problems it created? I purposely avoided high speed driving on the donut spare, as well as the users manual specifically states that unless the check engine light is flashing (it wasn't) that the car is safe to drive until it can be serviced.  60 miles isn't unreasonable in my opinion for service to be performed.

I'm trying to gather as much information as possible to support my case before I approach Chrysler on this again, so any relavant TSB's or other information / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Bob

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD multiple problems
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »
BOB  Sorry for your holiday troubles,  hopefully others will read So dont mind a lecture tone.

A certified used car - certified by the person trying to sell the used car- self fulfilling check - all OK .  This is where we always advise for an independent technician to inspect the vehicle- be suspicious if they wont let you spend your money to 'double' check ther work- AND that carfax (et al) statement now seams a mustt have....
  AWD -  the tires are required to be the same dia.  +or-  say 1/2 inch  therefor the suggestion that all 4 are replaced ....lets hold off that issue for now...
  A TSB- technical service bulletin NOT for the public printed right on them...can be anything from correcting a typo to a new part design, improved procedures or FYI for the technician....rarely are they freebies  

Hopefully the warranty is a CHRYSLER and not a in house policy.
1)for the 89$ diagnostic....did you get the print out?  all the DTC's (diag Trbl Codes)?
2)How is the vehicle driving- what issues are you having??
3)did you get AND read the owners manual? all info about emerg driving with  that transmission should be there to support their statement OR your reasonable assumptions...
  Hope that helps ,   answer
questions 1,2,3 and we will advise
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:36:40 AM by kev2 »

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »
  Sorry for 2nd post - a quick TSB chwck shows nothing 'serious' some reflashes as you know, hopefully one of my colleagues can add some info to help you...

To give you an idea of what a TSB is I attach below

[attachment deleted by server]

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:25:14 PM »
Heard on the news this morning that Chrysler has finally made a profit to pay back some of that taxpayers money.  A major recall like this would put them back in the red.

What about your wife?  If like mine, swear she has a far more sensitive nose than my German Shepherd, did she say she smells something burning?  Typically the first thing to go with unequal sized tires is if you have limited slip differentials, they will get red hot.  AWD, well not that familiar with Chrysler, more into GM, but is in the transfer case, that is behind the transmission and does have a torque converter of sorts that engages with a differential in speed between the front and rear drive shafts.  Perhaps, Transman in the transmission section can shed more light on this, but seems to me, a slight differential in speed shouldn't hurt it.

What is the difference in diameters between your spare and regular tires?  Again I am not familiar with Chrysler, but always seen full sized spares in SUV's, I also live in the sticks.  The AT only has a single shaft output, doesn't seem very likely this would be the problem.  What is the trailer rating on your SUV?  That kind of tells what kind of load the AT should be able to handle.  Yes, I know you weren't towing a camper.

Always though AT's should have a temperature sensor, heck when our motorhome started to have AT problems, wife said she smelled something burning,  I pulled to the side of the road with that warning.

Really can't get into warranty advice, would need to see the contract with my stereo microscope to read and to attempt to comprehend the fine print, but more curious is to exactly what your problem is.

Even with a new vehicle, always had that question about tires, everything else is warranted except the tires.  Tell you to go to the tire dealer who says your tires are obsolete and wants you to buy four new ones from him.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »
I think this site will be beneficial to you in determining the proper repair, but not-so-much for ammo in fighting the manufacturer or warranty-writer.  Keep in mind that no matter what opinions you get, you would have to go to court, and then only the lawyers win in a (relatively) small case like this.  No matter how right you may be, what's right, what's legal, and what happens are often different from each other...  By all means, though contact the warranty-writer and contact Chrysler all the way from local on through Regional and Corporate.  After that your "Hail Mary" play may be to contact a "consumer advocate" department at one of your local TV broadcasters; most major markets have at least one and they might be able to get you some satisfaction due to publicity.  They will want you to have tried all the "normal" channels first, though.

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
From what I gather from research is that MANY pacificas have this problem. Apparently there were are couple "front bushings" in the front pump assembly that weren't installed properly and cause excessive leaking and it's inability to shift properly.
The long and short of it is they need to disassemble the transmission.
The Svc Record said:
Low presence of metal in pan for under drive clutches. Remove Transmission and replace Torque converter, all input clutch seals, front pump assembly, and Seal Rings. Clean valve body, solenoid. Pack and flush cooler. Reinstall Transmission.
So the Front Pump and seals is really where the problem was.
Here is a list of TSB's for 2007 pacifica.
Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2007 Chrysler Pacifica V6-4.0L VIN X
MAY              2007 Engine Controls - Harsh A/T Engagement/Clunk Noise
MARCH         2007 Maintenance - Fluid Flushing Recommendations
MARCH         2007 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC`s P0139/P0159/P0420/P0430
MARCH         2007 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P1004 in Memory
FEBRUARY   2007 A/T, Engine Controls - TC Shudder/DTC P0732 Set
FEBRUARY   2007 A/T - Diagnostic Teardown Procedures
JANUARY      2007 DVD Audio System - Headphones Inoperative
JANUARY      2007 Keyless Entry - Replacement Transmitter Key Cautions
DECEMBER   2006 Body - Cowl Reseal
DECEMBER   2006 Electrical - Radio/Clock Memory Loss/Locks/RKE Inop
OCTOBER      2006 Body - Windshield Crack Diagnosis
OCTOBER      2006 Tire Pressure Monitor - System Information
OCTOBER      2006 Computers/Controls - Erroneous Red `X` For SAS Displayed
SEPTEMBER 2006 Brakes - Low Speed ABS Buzzing/Clicking Sound
SEPTEMBER 2006 Power Transfer Unit (PTU) - Revised Installation
AUGUST        2006 Engine Control - PCM Initialization Procedure
AUGUST        2006 Body - Moonroof Pop/Thump Sounds When Moving to Vent
AUGUST        2006 A/C - Musty Odors When Hot/Humid
AUGUST        2006 Interior - Fabric Cleaning/Care
APRIL            2006 A/T - ATF+4 Fluid Usage/Applications
here are some specific for you:
2007 Chrysler Pacifica Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) TSBs
1   TSB Number: TSB-J16   NHTSA Number: 10030450   TSB Date: May 1, 2009   Date Added to File: October 6, 2009
Failing Component:
Power Train:Automatic Transmission:Control Module (Tcm, Pcm)
Summary:
Chrysler: the powertrain control module (pcm) on the vehicles may not adequately control nitrogen oxide emissions levels under certain operating conditions. This may cause the engine to emit nitrogen oxides at levels which may exceed califo

Discuss It in Forum
2   TSB Number: 2101607   NHTSA Number: 10023586   TSB Date: March 6, 2008   Date Added to File: January 10, 2008
Failing Component:
Summary:
Flash: torque converter shudder with coordinated change. Updated 4/29/08.

Discuss It in Forum
3   TSB Number: 04   NHTSA Number: 10021410   TSB Date: March 1, 2007   Date Added to File: April 24, 2007
Failing Component:
Summary:
Reprogram pcm.
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button in the Keep BAT Alive section http://www.batauto.com/index.php?action=donate  so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
Sounds like this thread is leading more to a coincidence with AT failure than blaming the spare tire.

Offline Bobman

Re: 2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD multiple problems - GOOD UPDATES!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »
Thank you all for the information provided.  Just as an FYI, I'm relatively handy with mechanics having restored a couple of older Mustangs as well as doing my own maintenace on my 03 Durango (which I'll keep forever!!!!) but for a multitude of reasons will *not* touch "my wifes" vehicle!  ;) All kidding aside, it was purchased from the dealership that originally sold it, it was purchased with a Chrysler extended warranty, and it has NOT been abused in any way shape or form, so I felt very strongly that I should've recieved better treatment than I did.

Regarding the spare tire size, it measures out in circumferance to within 1/8" inch of the other three tires, so it was clearly within specs.  Also, the manual states nothing about limitations other than speed when driving on a spare.  (which was adhered to)

Long story short, I approached the dealership manager with my "case" after a couple of days and was stonewalled again.  I then inquired about and contacted the regional manager for some resolution.  After a 10 minute converstaion with him (which was VERY courteous and professional I might add) he asked if he could look into the matter and contact me back.  A few hours later he contacts my wife and informs her that she should make arrangments at her convenience to drop off the car at the dealership where a loaner vehicle will be waiting for her.  Total outcome - replace the transmission, replace the converter, no charges for any other work performed, AND prorated the replacement tire for 1/2 the cost. 

I'm grateful that Chrysler put some pressure on the dealership to correct this issue, but it does bother me that we should have had to pursue this issue at all.  We *will* be shopping at a different dealership in the future.

Thank you all for the information provided, it was greatly appreciated.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my first post was that the new tire that was purchased was the same brand but different series of tire than original, which more than likely prompted the "you must buy 4 tires" statement.  For what it's worth, yesterday I went out and purchased 4 new tires for the Pacifica (Michelin M/T) and had them mounted.  Currently looking for a rim to have the "new" tire monted to for a full size spare.

Thank you all!!!!
 fixed

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.