Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: '04 GMC Envoy Gages Going Crazy  (Read 4432 times)

Offline aziemba

'04 GMC Envoy Gages Going Crazy
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
2004 GMC Envoy XUV/ V8 / 112,000 miles

The gauges on my truck are going crazy. The speedometer starts at 60 and is at 120 on the highway, Gas gage spins around 360 degrees, tachometer reads 7,000 then 3,000 then 6,000.

It changes everyday. Sometimes its a couple of gages sometimes its all at once going crazy.

Also, when in drive and at a red light the truck idles a bit rough. Kind of lopes the the point where it has to be put into neutral and the gas pedal depressed a bit to level it out.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: '04 GMC Envoy Gages Going Crazy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:43 AM »
Any codes set? Need to check all modules.....

Offline Ford_Dude

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
Going to throw out the suggestion to inspect your battery cables. With the weather being as cold as it it, I would suggest you get your battery checked. In fact if its 4-6 years old you should really consider replacing it because this is typically the time frame in which they fail.

If the check engine light is on it would really be worth it to have it scaned and post the codes.

Ford_Dude
Section 609 certified

Offline aziemba

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »
Hi there,
No engine light or codes have come up as of yet.
I'll check the cables and battery.
Thanks for the help so far.

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
"Cables" includes ground strap from engine to chassis, as well as any ground straps under dash...

Offline aziemba

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
Do you think the cables and ground straps would be causing the gages to go crazy or is that just for the rough idle / loping?
Tx

Online kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
both- the interuption of power( ground or Pos) will have similar effects...as the system power is interrupted

Anything to add- recently had problems with ...battery? alternator ?  accident?  repairs?  remote starter?

Just to be sure-  when you start the vehicle the check eng light SHOULD come on @ 3 seconds then go out.. does it ?  you said no codes how did you determine this?

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
If no codes, a bad ground could be the culprit......lift the hood, look at the driver's side.....at the firewall and inside fender and inside hood....should see nuts/bolts for about three grounds(may have multiple wires at each one)......take apart, and clean all with sandpaper and use dielectric grease......do this with the key out of the ignition........re-attach.....

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
Hey aziemba, if you typed "2004 GMC Envoy Guages Going Crazy" into google search you would find things like this....have you tried it? You and lots of other people need a new cluster.

# Source: NHTSA Website
# May 10, 2010 - Columbia, TN - Electrical System
2004 GMAC ENVOY - THE SPEEDOMETER IS ERRATIC. WHEN YOU DRIVE DOWN ROAD, IT IS ALL OVER THE PLACE. I WENT TO DEALERSHIP AND THEY SAID NO RECALL. I WOULD HAVE TO BUY A NEW CLUSTER - $600 PLUS LABOR! INTERESTING THERE ARE 4 OTHER PEOPLE I KNOW THAT OWN GM SUVS AND THEY ARE ALL DOING IT AS WELL. I HAVE SINCE REPLACED THE CLUSTER AND THAT HAS FIXED BUT WITH ALL THE PEOPLE IN MY LITTLE CIRCLE. THERE IS A OVERALL PROBLEM WITH THE GM/GMAC CARS. THIS COULD BE DANGEROUS AND EXPENSIVE FOR THE CONSUMER.

Source: NHTSA Website
# Jan 25, 2010 - Berea, KY - Electrical System
IN THE SPRING OF 2009, WE BEGAN NOTICING PROBLEMS WITH THE INSTRUMENT PANEL AND ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OF OUR 2004 GMC ENVOY XL. THE SPEEDOMETER WAS NOT CONSISTENT. THE GAS GAUGE BECAME UNRELIABLE. WE HAVE ALSO SEEN PROBLEMS WITH THE OIL GAUGE AND MOST RECENTLY THE READING FOR THE EXTERIOR TEMPERATURE. CURRENTLY, IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR SINCE THE START OF THE PROBLEMS, AND THE GAS GAUGE, SPEEDOMETER, AND THE EXTERIOR TEMPERATURE READOUT ARE NEVER CORRECT. WE CONTACTED THE GMC DEALER WHERE WE BOUGHT THE VEHICLE AND WERE TOLD THAT SEVERAL COMPLAINTS HAD BEEN LOGGED REGARDING SIMILAR ISSUES WITH THESE VEHICLES AND THAT THE PROBLEM WAS THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER. I BELIEVE THE COST TO HAVE IT FIXED WAS GOING TO BE $400-$500. IF SO MANY OF THESE VEHICLES ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, WHY WILL GMC NOT ISSUE A RECALL AND HAVE THIS PROBLEM FIXED?

Source: NHTSA Website
# Jan 22, 2010 - Tampa, FL - Electrical System
FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WOULD COME ON AND GO OFF AFTER A FEW DAYS; WE TOOK IT TO OUR MECHANIC WHO RAN A DIAGNOSTIC AND THEY SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG, PROBABLY A FAULTY SENSOR, NOT HARMFUL. SO, LAST NIGHT WHILE DRIVING, USING CRUISE CONTROL AND ON THE INTERSTATE MY SPEEDOMETER STOPPED WORKING. WHEN I CAME TO A STOP AT AN EXIT I NOTICED THE SPEEDOMETER WAS READING 42 MPH BUT I WAS AT A COMPLETE STOP. I DO NOT EVEN WANT TO IMAGINE WHAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED SHOULD IT HAVE BEGUN TO WORK WHILE I WAS DOING 60+MPH WHILE ON CRUISE CONTROL!!! THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! SO I CAME HOME AND DID SOME RESEARCH TO SEE IF THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH MY 2004 GMC ENVOY XL AND LOW AND BEHOLD THIS IS AN ISSUE TO ALL GMC SUVS FROM 2002-2005! I AM DISGUSTED AT THE INFORMATION I FOUND THAT STATES GMC ISN'T WILLING TO TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THE RECALL/REPAIR WHEN THIS IS ALREADY A KNOWN ISSUE!! PLEASE ACT ON THIS WITH DUE DILIGENCE AND RECALL THIS FAULTY INSTRUMENT PANEL BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT OR WORSE!!!!

Online kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
With  what Gus ( a ground issue)and danica posted this  MAY apply .....  hope it helps

[attachment deleted by server]

Offline John Luttrell

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:57:01 PM »
What Danica said, I have replaced several of these clusters; in fact there was a guy in Texas that rebuilds them for around a hundred bucks and I sent a few off to him for repairs.

Offline duesey8

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 07:02:43 PM »
Check all ground points, incl batter, engine to chassis, etc.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.