Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 Theft Deterent Issue  (Read 9159 times)

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
1997 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 Theft Deterent Issue
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:48:40 PM »
1997 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 L
Codes: P1573, p1626, P1629

At start up the lights on the instrument cluster all light up.  The car at times not start up. It will start and die.
     After ten minutes or so it will start up.  I am told according to the flow chart to replace the ecm.  I have no communication with the abs module. 
     I had replaced the abs with a used one and still have problem communicating with the abs. Maybe its no good but very costly for the part-new. 
     I disconnected the abs module completely, erased all codes.  Had no problems for about a week or so and the theft light came on again and a no start. 
     So had car towed in and try to start.  After some time it eventually did but the theft light is not blinking and stays on intermittenley.  Would the micro-processor that is in the instrument cluster cause all lights on and send bad signal through the serial data causing problem?  Also checked the serial data on the abs module at pin 12 that is supposed to be circuit 800 (tan wire)I believe and is fluctuating between 3.5v-4.0v...do not know if this helps or this is the right voltage?!?!?   Thanks

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
Re: 1997 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 Theft Deterent Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »
Two separate problems here, no corrallation between the two. The Theft deterent may be cause by a faulty theft module not reading the key.
DTC P1626
Circuit Description

The body control module (BCM) produces the theft deterrent fuel enable signal when ignition is ON and the proper key resistor pellet is sensed. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel enable signal during crank. If the proper signal is present on the theft deterrent fuel enable circuit, the PCM enables fuel delivery to allow the engine to start. If the PCM detects that the fuel enable signal is not present or incorrect while the engine is running, DTC P1626 will be set. DTC P1626 can cause a no-start condition or normal operation depending on when the loss of the fuel enable signal was detected. The engine will continue to start and run if the condition that set DTC P1626 occurred after the BCM sensed the proper key resistor pellet and signaled the PCM to continue fuel delivery. The engine will start and immediately stall if the condition that set DTC P1626 occurred before the BCM sensed the proper key resistor pellet. With this condition present, the PCM will inhibit fuel delivery and the BCM will disable the starter.
DTC P1629
Circuit Description

The body control module (BCM) produces the theft deterrent fuel enable signal when ignition is ON and the proper key resistor pellet is sensed. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel enable signal during crank. If the proper signal is present on the theft deterrent fuel enable circuit, the PCM enables fuel delivery to allow the engine to start. If the PCM detects that the fuel enable signal is not present or incorrect during engine crank, DTC P1629 will be set. DTC P1629 can cause a no-start condition or normal operation depending on when the loss of the fuel enable signal was detected. The engine will continue to start and run if the condition that set DTC P1629 occurred after the BCM sensed the proper key resistor pellet and signaled the PCM to continue fuel delivery. The engine will start and immediately stall if the condition that set DTC P1629 occurred before the BCM sensed the proper key resistor pellet. With this condition present, the PCM will inhibit fuel delivery and the BCM will disable the starter.

Only difference between these two codes are one sets during cranking and the other detects while running.
I have bypassed many of these systems by introducing the proper resistance into the yellow wire going to theft module equal to key resistor. But these bypasses only works with keys that had the resistor embeded in the key and not the plastic part of key handle. Ohm it out between the yellow wire cut and the black wire (two middle wires on each side of the connectors. Insert resistance that ohmmeter read with key in lock cyl. If if won't wok on the first try you may have to try a couple of resistors closely resembling your ohm meter reading. Post back if this works, If not there are other ways.
Here is another way I found on the net but my way is simpler, but if it doesn't work you may try this one.
PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles
in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure
is required because a remote start system will not function with the current
Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM
vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction
with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a
procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation
in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this
start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started
remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to
select ?ON? to allow remote starting or ?OFF? for normal Passlock operation.

CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON
position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft
deterrent is disabled the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM telltale will light up
indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.

PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline
Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to
disable/
enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.

NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore
very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be
utilized for this application.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column. GM's Passlock
System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the
Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/ or
http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and
Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of
three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut
wire.
Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.

Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when
the switch is in the ON position.
5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine ?cranks but will not
start"
recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the
OFF
position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM Telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock
System is inoperative.
Once the SECURITY/THEFT SYSTEM telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds
the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
(contacts closed). Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)
related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON
position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets
this condition.

NOTICE
Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control
Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected
harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If
the engine exhibits a ?cranks but will not start? symptom, place the
modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will
reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the
ignition key
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button in the Keep BAT Alive section http://www.batauto.com/index.php?action=donate  so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
This is a Passlock system, so there is no resistor pellet in the key....

Usually, if the car starts and dies, but starts later, after 10 minutes(there is a 10 relearn procedure), then the usual culprit is the PassLock sensor/module......you can either replace this and use the relearn procedure, or there are various "tricks" to use, using a switch, which I think Nick is describing.....

The ABS, is a seperate problem...

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 10:35:14 PM »
This one does not have the resistor pellet on the key. However, what has me a little baffled is what's with the lights on the cluster all turning on?  And  is there a way of testing the module itself?

Offline Wild Bill

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:29 PM »
Our local police dept took a ziptie and tied the key near the ignition switch. It worked great on the cars with a resistor pellet in the key and they used a regular key.   Bill

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
Wild Bill you are wrong....tying a resistor key does nothing....a resistor key has to be "read" by the contacts in lock cylinder....

Like I said, this is not PassKey I or II which uses a resistor pellet on the key.....this is a PassLock system which uses a blank key....

Wild Bill, now you may be thinking of PassKey III which uses a transponder in the key.....but no way were these used on A '97 Grand Am...

If the vehicle can be reprogrammed by cranking the vehicle, letting it die, and keeping the key on for 10 minutes so the theft/security light goes out(after 10 minutes), turn key off for 5 seconds and then start the car..... then more often than not it's the PassLock sensor/module.....have replaced a ton of them....

Here is an online fix I found.....but you must do EXACTLY as outlined.....

http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:35:37 AM by Gus »

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
 Where is the PassLock sensor/module located?  Also, is there a way of testing this.  Also, your link specifies for a '98.  Could this car pass as a '98 because of production date?

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Scroll down to post #209.....it describes '97 Grand Am....

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
I have noticed when i wiggle the key that the theft light went out so i replaced the ignition lock and key and tried doing a relearn procedure a few times. It didnt work.  My problem is that the theft light now does not blink and only stays on all the time.
     Also,  how do I get to post #209 Gus?

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:26:13 PM »
What do you mean by lock and key? I know what the key is, but what do you mean by lock? Are you talking about just the cylinder(this is what the key slides into)? The lock cylinder has tumblers which has to be changed to fit the key.....this cylinder slides into the PassLock sensor....was the sensor replaced?

On the website......scroll down almost all the way down, until you get to the post marked #209....it's for a '97 Grand Am....

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
     With all respect Gus..I get that from the dealership to the parts store and according to the way it is phrased in the book.  I guess we will use cylinder here. The key and cylinder was replaced.  The cylinder has a sort of black rectangular piece that has 3 wire connector attached to it.
      Also,  the matter with abs has been resolved with a unplug connector to the abs motor.   

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
Still having problems with this one.  I checked to see if there were any problems with the uart circuit (tan wire) and found that it is seems as I checked....that it shorts to ground.  Is that circuit controlled through ground? Or is it supposed to show voltage?

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
       ???Since I had no response....I had disconnected all modules related to circuit 800 or the tan wire and was left with the instrument cluster at fault.

I could not find any source through the internet that would rebuild this one or replace.

I thought of getting used but was advised on keeping same part numbers and used may differ or be bad also being the year and mileage.  So I was left with the dealership and they are able to rebuild it.

I will post in a few days and see what happens.

Offline alexandjojo

• Sponsoring Member
  • MAKE IT HAPPEN!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
   Ok just got a call from the dealership and they said there is no problem with the intrument cluster and there is no charge.  Hmmm!
   So the last time I checked though about the shorting problem actually there is 4.85 volts flowing through the uart line (tan wire).  Is my problem that there is a short to voltage?  Or is it normal to have this voltage there?

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
Ok alex, here is what you need to do, stop :stop, and put every thing back together. Disconnect battery cable for 10 minutes or more, reconnect. Do not insert key at this stage. Check to make sure no fuses are blown before applying power with key. If ok, insert key and turn to on position, wait 15 minutes before attempting to start. What does the anti left light do? Does it keep flashing or go out or just stay on? If the light stop flashing or goes out, turn key off and wait 2 minutes and then start engine, if your problems persists, it must be either your ignition switch, your control panel or your antitheft module. Now you say the control panel was checked by the dealer, so it is OK. You say you changed the key cylinder, did you change the unit as a whole, not just the mechanical part but also the electrical sensor that actually reads the key. If so, you will need to change your anti theft module AFTER you have a done a pin to pin check OF ALL the wires going to and from the key to control panel and to the antitheft module, check wiring for short to ground or open with ALL conectors disconnected. If wiring is ok and you have continuity ON ALL wires from pin to pin, and a reprograming from the dealer because you replaced the ignition,  you have to replace your antitheft module.
Here is a step bu step way to check that you can't go wrong with, follow it precisely, if you don't understand the wording ask for help, this is important.
GM Passlock–Diagnosing and Fixing GM Anti-theft related no-starts
The GM Passlock system is fairly simple, especially when compared to other makes. However, if yours is goofing up, you won’t think it’s so simple.
Here’s how it works: When you first turn the key, the PCM provides power to the fuel pump, injectors, and ignition system. You can crank and start the engine. However, there’s a magnet built into the lock cylinder. As you rotate the key, the magnet passes over a Hall Effect sensor—a sensor that detects the presence of a magnetic force. The magnet produces a unique voltage when it passes over the sensor. The sensor sends this voltage signal to the Body Control Module where it is compared to a stored value. If the sent voltage doesn’t match the stored value, the PCM shuts down the fuel injectors for a minimum of 10 minutes and, well, you’re pretty screwed at that point. If you try to start the car again, you will see a blinking Security light. That’s your sign that the Passlock system has shut you down.passlock, passkey, GM anti-theft, no start, security system
What goes wrong: GM vehicles experience a very high failure rate in the lock cylinder and lock housing mechanisms. Fortunately, they’re fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
Testing the Passlock sytem: Remove the plastic cover shrouds from the steering column near the lock cylinder. Inside you will see the Passkey module surrounding the lock cylinder. It will have 3 wires coming out of it. Turn the key to the ON position and use a DIGITAL multimeter (Do NOT use an analog meter) to backprobe the probe the black and white wires. If you see 12 volts on the white wire and 0 volts on the black wire, you can proceed to the test for the Passkey module. If you do not see those voltage values, you have a wiring problem between the connector and the BCM.
Next, connect your voltmeter to the yellow wire. It should read 5 volts. Keep the probe connected and turn the key to the off position and back to the start position. The Passlock Data Voltage has a potential of 10 different values, ranging from .86 to 4.28 volts. The voltage should drop to a voltage level between those values and stay within .02 volts of the initial reading for at least one minute. Repeat the test several times—you must receive the same voltage for each test. If you do not, replace the lock cylinder and the Passkey housing.
To remove the lock cylinder, first disconnect the negative battery cable and allow the airbag to power down for 5-10 minutes. Slide the Passkey module off the cylinder housing. Insert the key and turn the lock cylinder to the start position. Place a 1/16” allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock module to release the steering column lock cylinder set pin. Then turn the lock cylinder to the RUN position and pull the lock cylinder out. Reverse the procedure to install.
After you replace the cylinder and Passkey module, you will have to conduct a relearn procedure for the BCM to learn the new voltage value. Here’s the procedure: Lock doors and unlock. Clear codes. Turn key and bump starter, leave on for 10 minutes. After a few minutes the dash light will go out. At that point, turn the key to the off position for 90 seconds to 3 minutes. Repeat this procedure 3 times for a total of 30 minutes and on the 4th try the car will start.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:05:59 PM by nickb2 »
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button in the Keep BAT Alive section http://www.batauto.com/index.php?action=donate  so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.