Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1998 Dodge Avenger 6 cyc. - stalls upon breakingat red light  (Read 1859 times)

Offline codygirl35

1998 Dodge Avenger 6 cyc. - stalls upon breakingat red light
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
I tried to get my 1998 Dodge Avenger fixed a month 1/2 ago. They charged $1081 and said 90 day warranty. They then said I would have to run a few tanks of gas out bc I brought in with full tank & it had been sitting a while. Every day it was something new wrong with the car and a coupl eof hundred $'s more. Last qote was $700..got there it was $1081...750 in labor + tax. Car was never fixed, it stalled every time you put the brake on, but still I tried new tank of gas..2 to be exact. Finally after 45 days, returned to mechanic bc still no improvement. They called first of this week saying needed map sensor..$180. Next day, something completely different $280. I have not talked with them in a couple of days, but I feel as if they are looking/fixing, looking/fixing - knowing not what's wrong, but adding up the labor hours. It keeps stalling upon breaking at red lights.  I can not afford to keep paying labor hours till they fix the problem....Should all this be under warranty since it was not fixed it begin with? They said they would try to help a little on labor, but they can not promise anything. Being female, I really do not want to be taken advantage of, but I need a car to get back & forth to work. I'm riding with a friend now. As much as I paid, I could have put a down payment on a new or newer used car...please help if any advice...

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 1998 Dodge Avenger 6 cyc. - stalls upon breakingat red light
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »
It sounds like you might have a problem with the IAC(idle air control valve)....Do you know if they have checked it?......Jim
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline jasonn20

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
Is your CEL light on??  

If the problem is only when braking then I would suspect a bad brake booster.  The brake booster has an internal diaphram and if it goes bad it will cause a vacuum leak when braking. That vacuum leak will throw off the map sensor, IAC, etc.. causing the car to stall. 

Does the car idle fine in park but stalls when you press the brake?

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
Umm... your most critical problem seems to be that you don't have a shop that you trust or is competent.  The pros on this site will give you fine advice, but if you have to "spoon-feed" that to your shop you are in (expensive) trouble.  As I read it you are already into this for $2622 and all your present shop will do is "try to give you a break"!  If it is a dealer, start complaining to the manufacturer.  Also, most TV stations have consumer advocates that may be willing to sink their teeth in.  If you post your ZIP code, maybe this site will allow someone to refer you to a competent shop.  You need to plug the "money pit" NOW!  If your present shop doesn't step up and start making you satisfied, then you have to do something different; different car, different shop, or no car.  It's as simple as that.   

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
  lets try simplee things to start

A s menntioned is the CEL check engine light on?-  if yes visit a local auto zone or advance auto parts stores ask for a FREE code check write down the codes and post here someone will advise

Also any dash lights on- Security key -  ck gauges- etc??

When you slow down to stop.... try shifting to neutral- will it still stall OR just stalling if left in D ?

This vehicle is STOCK no modifications add ons or aftermarket - no remote starter?

Offline wcadams

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
Get a can of throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush.  Remove idle control motor and clean all carbon from motor, the bore it sits against, and throttle blades and bore.  Memory reset should be performed, but will adapt in time

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 12:53:46 AM »
Ok, just my 2 cents here, but....................
Stalls when put in gear or stopping at lights...........
Anyone consider the TCC solenoid may be bad?

It should be a simple check, unplug the TCC connector and test drive and see if it still stalls.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:54:38 AM by Tony »
Never pass up the opportunity to shut up. A smart man knows what to say.
A wise man knows if he should say it or not.

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
kev considered it BUT thinking  the neutral shift is more likely for a laymen to attempt than unplugging connectors...

Offline jasonn20

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
A bad tcc solenoid would kill the engine when placed in gear and she said it stalls when braking.  I have seen in some cases a bad TCC solenoid only act up when the engine is warmed up but if it starts back up and goes back into gear without problems then I would rule out on a bad TCC solenoid.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:09:48 PM by jasonn20 »

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
LETS try the easy simple things first
 just select Neutral when stopping/bbaaking...
 A free easy code ck

some times the TCC circuit is not engerized when ECT is low - the problem may only happen when in "closed loop"

initial placing the eng in gear the TCC circuit has not been commanded yet may need to reach ECT and then 3rd 0r forth gear for TCC engagement commad- something as simple as an intermittant problem with brake switch would keep TCC engaged when braking then the resulting stall

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:45:13 PM by kev2 »

Offline jasonn20

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
Whether the brake switch is working or not, the pcm will still disengage tcc according to engine load and downshifting.  The solenoid can be stuck on even though the pcm has it commanded off and would result in an engine stall when placed in gear.   I really do not see a reason to suspect a bad tcc solenoid from her description.   The description I read she said it stalls when braking not stalls when placed in gear.  I agree lets keep it simple.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:07:47 PM by jasonn20 »

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • wrench
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Ok, I must be reading a different post then.

The only pertinent info I see from the original poster is......
It keeps stalling upon breaking at red lights. and
it stalled every time you put the brake on

I don't see where they said that it didn't stall when it was put into gear.

We need clarification from the original poster.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:45:29 PM by Tony »
Never pass up the opportunity to shut up. A smart man knows what to say.
A wise man knows if he should say it or not.

Offline tercr6

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »
Ok, I must be reading a different post then.

The only pertinent info I see from the original poster is......
It keeps stalling upon breaking at red lights. and
it stalled every time you put the brake on

I don't see where they said that it didn't stall when it was put into gear.

We need clarification from the original poster.

Well I referred the poster here from another site. He/she was worried about being taken to the cleaners and wondered if the warranty for work already preformed should cover the now needed fixes , and hasn't come back to that forum either .

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.