Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1998 Chevy Malibu- Gas Gauge Problem  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Scottedawg

1998 Chevy Malibu- Gas Gauge Problem
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »
Hello All,

I've got kind of an unusual question.  Hope someone can help.  first of all I have a
1998 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 V-6, Auto Transmission, w/ A/c

Okay.  The gas gauge needle has completely reversed itself for some reason.  Instead of it sitting
in the peg by the "E" empty it has reversed itself and is now under the peg that it used to rest on.

Is there anyway to get the needle back around again to rest on top of the peg?  Does this make sense?
it's really hard to explain unless you see it.  I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Scott E. Dawg

Offline jasonn20

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: 1998 Chevy Malibu- Gas Gauge Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
I think this would take some further investigation on your part.  I would probably remove the instrument cluster and then take it to a work bench or kitchen table with a towel.  Remove the clear cover from it and investigate whether the needle has simply come loose or is it damaged. 

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »
Have seen this happen sometimes, when someone disconnects/reconnects a battery, with the ignition left in the "run" position....

On some dashes, there is a reset "button" in the cluster for the odometer.....sometimes you can stick a wire in through there to move the needle...other alternative, is to remove the I/P trim and drill a very small hole, that will be covered by the trim......then stick a wire through the hole and rotate the needle around the pin.......beats pulling the cluster......

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:19:07 PM »
Gus is exactly correct.  I have had to do it on my 98 Chev Malibu when replacing the battery.  I pushed it counter clockwise thought the trip rest button hole.  Once it is back over center it will fall down to empty and all will be well.  I assume it must be a surge from installing a new battery and the alternator or whatever kicking it over there. Anyway, that is all you have to do.
Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.

Offline Scottedawg

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
 fixed  Gus... you're an F'n genius.    That worked perfect...I'm buying a BAT hat and a BAT T-Shirt ... Thanks again
you Guys have always helped me ...

Scott E. Dawg

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
Glad you got it.  I know it was a real puzzle when I had it happened to me. An electrical shop told me what to do.
Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.