Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Check Suspension light on 1998 expedition ON.  (Read 2554 times)

Offline bigallant

Check Suspension light on 1998 expedition ON.
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »
I have a 1998 Ford Expedition EB. 140K miles, car still runs great. Recently I noticed the ďCheck SuspensionĒ light came on. It will stay on until I turn the car off and turn it back on. It will stay off for a while, then turn on again. I also keep hearing the compressor motor activating periodically (more often than it used to) several times during the day and during a drive. Sometimes Iíll hear it activate and it will lower the back of the car, sometimes it activates and raises the back, seems the front is not affected. At times Iím not even in the car and I will hear it activate.
(1) Since the compressor raises and lowers the car, I suspect that the Compressor is OK.
(2) Iíve noticed that most of the times when the car lowers, is when the compressor activates and lowers it, so, I suspect I do not have a leak in the air bags.
(3) Am I safe to make these two assumptions?
(4) Can I assume it is a sensor? I will need to check to see where they are located.
(5)What is the best way to diagnose this problem.

Thank you.

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: Check Suspension light on 1998 expedition ON.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »
I don't have any personal experience with the Expedition, but I've converted a few Town Cars and Cadillacs using products from StrutMasters.

Here is a link to their Expedition page:

http://www.strutmasters.com/ford-expedition-suspension-s/76.htm
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline NickD

• wrench
Re: Check Suspension light on 1998 expedition ON.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:02:09 AM »
Memories of my 89 Continental with that air suspension light alway popping on, went through all the wiring, major problem was in the ignition switch that also solved a problem with the volume control on the radio that wouldn't work.  These microcontroller devices require a power on reset to work properly that requires a very sharp rise time voltage from the ignition switch, but instead of that, you get a series of glitches.

Ford dealer told me the average repair bill on these things was 3,000 bucks, the ride was a tad softer, but could be emulated by reducing the air pressure in your tires.  Ha, replacing worn tires is a lot cheaper than those air shocks.  Made a note to look under the car since then to make sure it had real springs.  A year later, two or the air shocks developed leaks, can't do a darn thing with those except replace them at 750 bucks a piece.  But later found some rebuilt ones for 250 bucks a piece, but don't know how good they are, just got rid of it.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.