Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: What exactly does a car running "lean" mean?  (Read 28345 times)

Offline coogrr99

What exactly does a car running "lean" mean?
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
1.  when a car is running lean is it getting too much air and not enough fuel, or the opposite?
2.  can a dirty fuel filter cause a car to run lean?
   a.   What if fuel pressure is good?
3. could bad plugs cause the same conditon?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:27:21 PM by coogrr99 »

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: What exactly does a car running "lean" mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:51:12 PM »
Yes...running lean means it is getting to much air and not enough fuel...a dirty fuel filter could cause a lean condition...bad plugs would cause it to run to rich because it isn't burning the fuel like it should be...what kind of problems are you having....Jim
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline coogrr99

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
lean in banks 1&2.  i already replaced maf,vac lines and hoses,dpfe,intake plenum gasket,air filter,pcv valve,. i inspected rubber intake boot(its good),replaced 2 breather hoses. i sprayed carb cleaner around gaskets and hoses to see if idle raises.  but no success. Would a faulty O2 sensor cause a lean condition? I replaced 3 but i think there is one i missed. I didnt think that could cause lean readings in both banks.

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »
Yours should have 4 on it like the first diagram....Does it run ok?...have you checked the fuel pressure?...how about a leak in the exhaust pipe?....Jim
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.

Offline coogrr99

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
I tested fuel pressure(its perfect) car runs great but i cant pass ny emmissions  dtc's 0171 0174. could a bad vapor charcoal canister be the problem  i accidently drilled into it when i was mounting an amp in my trunk and i sealed it back up with silicon. that was 5 years and i have never experienced this problem before. or could that last o2 sensor be causing this situation. Is there one O2 that monitors both banks?

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
What was your fuel pressure?...you could have a leaking injector....did you say you changed the plugs and wires?....did any of the plugs look really wet?...Jim

Offline dave_X86

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
I have a Tacoma truck that developed a lean condition and the fuel filter was the problem.  The fuel pressure was good however the flow must have been restricted (it would go lean going up mountain passes) I simply replace the filter every year or two as routine maintenance it has 141k on it and it runs factory fresh.   

Also since you changed the MAF this should not be the problem but I have seen where people have put on new high volume air filters (I use one) that use a coating of oil that can gunk up the MAF sensor.  What happens is that the oil gets on the semiconductor used to measure the temperature it mixes with small dust particles and causes incorrect readings.  When this happens you can sense missing of the engine when your on the highway accelerating.  If this is the case you can clean the sensor with electronics cleaner. Thanks Dave

Offline coogrr99

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »
PLUGS ARE NOT WET AND FUEL PRESSURE IS 42-43@ IDLE AND 47-49@ REDLINE(OPEN THROTTLE)

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »
What is the engine, year make and color :ROFL  Is this a ford cuz you did mention changing the dpfe sensor. If it a 3.8 with intake runners, this plastic clips which hold the rods to the runners areprobably broken or missing. See this all the time and this will cause a lean mixture if runners are not being actuated by the electric motor. Wow you changed alot of parts. Fuel pressure might be nice but have the injectors been cleaned. Might be clogged. Check also for cold exhaust leaks
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline roland

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
lincoln navigator; just had air filter changed.  when on park or stop light, engine seems to want to stall.  could this be directly to the changing of the air filter> if so, what do I do to fix.  thanks

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
@Roland, you should start a new thread in the domestic car forum. This thread is over two years old. You will get more hits this way. So post back in the proper form and I will be happy to help you further as will the others. Please post year,make, model and engine. Post a symptom list of your troubles and what has been done to the car.  :thx
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline roland

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 07:00:38 PM »
Thanks Bat, I hope I was able to post correctly.  Looking forward for your advice.
Roland

Galvin jones

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »
I changed 02 sensor map sensor and air flow sensor changed fuel fliter to I'm thinking it's my air intake hose what kind of damaged can it do to mor engine until I'm able to get fixed
[/quote]. 

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 08:31:42 PM »
You are "hijacking" an old thread that was already hijacked from the original!  Start a new thread and tell us the make, model, year, and engine.  Also describe the symptoms and post trouble-codes if the "check engine" light is on.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.