Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 46RE slipping in 2nd gear  (Read 2991 times)

Offline ngc1068

46RE slipping in 2nd gear
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Hi,

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.  9 Limited.    Has the 5.  9L engine and the original tranny (the FSM says its a 46RE). 

I am having a problem with the jeep slipping in 2nd gear.  

I read some posts suggesting I check the fluid level and adjust the throttle valve cable.    So I've done all that.     I have adjusted the TV cable per the FSM, and verified the throttle lever and the TV lever at the tranny move at the same time with no slop.  .  .  hmmm.  .  . 

I drained the fluid last month, and put in a new filter and Royal Purple MAX ATF synthetic.     It has just at 140,000 miles.    Fluid is not leaking, and looks clear and no foam.    

History:  when I bought the Jeep back in October, I found it very low on fluid, it had a leak on the cooler supply hose at the fitting at the radiator, so when I repaired the hose, thats when I decided to change out the fluid.     I would guess with that leak, it was allowed to go low on fluid more than once by its previous owner.  .  . 

Problem Description:

Turn off overdrive, and put it in 2nd. 

Take off at normal leisurely pace, it tries to go into 2nd gear.    I think it is in 2nd gear, because if I put the lever back in 1, it downshifts normally. 

If I stop, put it in drive, and take off, it seems to start in 1, tries to go in 2 although its slipping, if I hit the throttle while its in 2 the rpms go high, like its almost in neutral (although not totally in neutral because it does accellerate slightly), then it hits third.    If I put the lever in 2, it is like it goes into neutral, so I let the vehichle coast down to a a reasonable speed and put it in 1 and it downshifts. 

I've tried adjusting the front band.    If i back off the nut with a 3/4" socket, turn in the adjuster till its handy tight, then tighten the nut down without backing out the adjuster I get a more solid 1-2 shift, but still slips.    If I back off the nut and tighten to spec, then back off the adjuster 1.  5 turns it behaves like before, If I adjust it for 2-7/8 turns off, I have absolutely no shift to 2nd (i.  e.   no accelleration when I apply throttle in 2nd). 

Is there any point in pulling the pan and throttle body and looking?  Any hope I'll find something fixable? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:30:50 PM by ngc1068 »

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
Re: 46RE slipping in 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »
Sounds like the band is cooked, done, and ready to take out of the oven. Low fluid will kill a trans fast depending on how low. The damage can, as in this case, show up later too. Drop the pan because the band strut could be broken, I always like to be sure before I recommend removal. It really sucks to remove the trans only to find the strut broke when you take it apart although I am very sure that you could find good reason to overhaul once you take it out just form the miles on it.
I don't recommend any fluid for this application except the atf +4, lots of engineering went into this stuff and it seems to work the best for me. Post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline ngc1068

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:23 PM »
(crossing fingers. . . )

I dropped at a local transmission shop.   The place is not on the main drag in town and it has floors so clean and shiny you could do surgery in any of the stalls. . . I'm hoping that's a good sign.   The owner is the guy who took my keys and wrote the ticket, he gave me advice on adjusting the band last week also.    He said approx $1800 unless the drum is FUBAR and can't be turned.  As I drove off he told me he'd call and let me know when he got the pan off. . .  I was like . . .  "why"?  He said it may not be the band, sometimes it's gotten disconnected and he could put it back and set the band properly.    I said "great!  I'll wait to hear from ya!".  I'm encouraged that he's not necessarily out to get a rebuild fee whatever the actual work.   He's been in business since '82 so I'm hopeful he's a good guy.   So far he's impressed me with his knowledge , experience and his openness.

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »
Yes, this is good technique. Have you asked any of your friends, relatives, milkman, etc if they have been there and what kind of work he performed? Post what he finds, Transman
P.S. the drum is only $50.00 for a good used one. If he tells you he only uses new then he is a lying.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.

Offline ngc1068

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »
As expected, they got the pan down and found the liner peeled off the front band.   No drum damage, doing rebuild.

Offline Cheef

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
    • Ultimate Soccermom Minivans
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »
Stay away from all those "high speed" ATF's. ONLY use MoPar (believe it or not WALMART sells Chrysler OEM ATF+4) +4 fluid. MoPar has a friction modifier that cannot be duplicated that allows some slip in the clutches during engagement. No friction modifier equals toasted clutches. Royal Purple may be OK in a PG at the race track but truly is a sad-face in a modern tranny of any manufacturer.

Cheef
Author, Lecturer, Traveler, Bum
Covert UW Operator, Jungle Fighter
Man Among Men, Seldom Among Women
Legend in My Own Mind
Lustslaker of A604's and Offspring

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »
Agreed, Mopar spent TONS of money in R&D to come up with this fluid. I am very sure they would have been very happy to be able to use "any" off the shelf fluid instead. Transman

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.