Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: PLEASE READ!!! Question about 1989 LTD Ford Crown Victoria  (Read 1188 times)

Offline allensimona

PLEASE READ!!! Question about 1989 LTD Ford Crown Victoria
« on: January 15, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »
 ???Here recently, while driving. . . . the check engine light will flicker and then   sometimes stay on.  when it does so, my car kinda like loses power, especially when i come to a stop---it will act like it is bogging down and sounds like its about to quit. . . so i will hold my foot on the brake while giving it a lil gas until its time to go again. . . . when the car is in motion, .  .  it doesnt seem to act up as much, but it still does. . . I just need to know what this could be. . . im pretty aquainted with cars and my car in general, but i have never came across this specific problem, .  .  . so please help! I just know that its not a good thing when the check engine light illuminates, so i need to get it fixed asap!

Offline Darrenp

Re: PLEASE READ!!! Question about 1989 LTD Ford Crown Victoria
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »
First of all, you need to find out what the codes are that are being stored in the computer.   This is an ODB I system, so you may be able to get the codes by reading the flashing of the Check Engine light.   There is a procedure for this, but I do not know what it is for Fords.   Another person on this site should be able to tell you.   Or check the information pages on this site to see if you can get the codes.   If not, most parts stores will run a scan for free.   Do not give in to a sales pitch to buy a part until you really know what is wrong.

Remember, just because a code says that there is a fault with a certain circuit, it does not been to just replace a certain part.   Another problem may be causing the code to set.   It is just a place to start looking.

Post the codes back here and we will go from there.

Good luck.

Darren

Offline Darrenp

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »
Also, please let us know the following:

engine size, milage, any add-ons or aftermarket mods, etc.

The more information we have, the better we can help you.

Darren

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
???Here recently, while driving. . . . the check engine light will flicker and then   sometimes stay on.  when it does so, my car kinda like loses power, especially when i come to a stop---it will act like it is bogging down and sounds like its about to quit. . . so i will hold my foot on the brake while giving it a lil gas until its time to go again. . . . when the car is in motion, .  .  it doesnt seem to act up as much, but it still does. . . I just need to know what this could be. . . im pretty aquainted with cars and my car in general, but i have never came across this specific problem, .  .  . so please help! I just know that its not a good thing when the check engine light illuminates, so i need to get it fixed asap!

Go to trouble codes upper right of this web page.
Code info and how to read codes.
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

Get the code and post it back here for more help.
Crunch
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.