Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1992 toyota corolla intermittent starting problem  (Read 5389 times)

Offline artsam

1992 toyota corolla intermittent starting problem
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
Hello,
92 corolla has an interrmittent problem with no cranking.  I can jump the starter (bypass the single wire that connects to starter solenoid, and use a jumper connected to battery) and will start.  New neutral switch, and starter.  I'm leaning toward the electrical connection behind the key switch (new switch).  For quite awhile with this car, when the key is turned toward start, if you go all the way clockwise it will not engage, if you back off slightly it will engage.  Now (last month or so) sometimes it will start sometimes not.  I figure that the contacts in this unit may have worn down over time.
Step-daughters car who can't afford any better and I keep this going as long as we need to.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Art

Offline al daniels

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 1992 toyota corolla intermittent starting problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
you might have just answered your own question.

Offline PaulPR

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
Worn starter contacts are a classic problem w/ middle aged Toyotas.   Over the years I've replaced them on my '82 Tercel, '91 Camry and '96 Tacoma.   It's a pretty straightforward DIY job.   My local wrecking yard also has an electrical shop.   Seem's like I paid $15 for the two contacts last time around.   You can get them for much less online if you're willing to wait.

Good Luck - Paul

Offline workinonit2305

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 03:56:14 PM »
I am having this same problem with my 1991 Geo Prism (same as the Corolla).   Has 160k miles on the clock and is starting to act up.   I will tell you what, when gas was $4 a gallon it was the best $1100 I ever spent - lol.   Thanks guys for the good info.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.