Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1999 Camaro security light stays on  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Billdo

1999 Camaro security light stays on
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »
Once or twice a day the security light comes on when you try to start the car and the car will not start.  It takes approx.  3 minutes for the light to go off and the car will start fine.  Any idea what causes this and how to get around it or fix it.

Thank you,
Bill

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 1999 Camaro security light stays on
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »
A good engine capable scanner will have a code that will point you to the problem.
Get it tested and.
Post back code no. for more help.
Crunch
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline brcidd

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »
As I recall you have the GM VATS system- it has the resistor chip built into the key- My '94 Firebird used to do exaclty as you describe- although actual time for light to go out was 4 minutes.  I used to just take key and clean it really good on my pants- rub both sides of pellet and it always worked.  The other thing to try is of course- use your other key- or do as I eventually did- and install a permanent resistor in the circuit-

Offline papajohn51

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
Had to do a Cadillac STS with sorta the same problem, security light in dash, says something about waiting so long and try again.  Basically you have a resistor in the column wired thru the switch, It detects the resistance in the resistor you have on your key. .  last i heard there is 16 different resistor values.  When you insert the key in key switch, the computer reads the resistance, if its not the same as programmed, security light in dash and or msg ,, cant start.  I removed the switch and found one of the thin wires had broken on the switch.  The wires snake down the column and plugs into a 2 prong plug in the base of the column somewhere.  You need a steering wheel remover to get past the security lock plate.  Also follow the precautions for removing the air bag in the steering wheel.  Not recommended for a beginner, but very doable if you're good at following directions  ;D. .  also you will need to take back to dealer and get a new set of keys, since when you get a new lock switch at your local parts place,, it doesnt have a resistor on it,, it is only there for rekeying purposes. 
Let us know how it goes,,,,

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
As has been suggested, one of the two white wires gong up to the lock cylinder has probably broken......

You can check this out with an ohm meter....read the resistance of the key......now insert key in ignition.....remove hush panel on driver's side and look for orange sheathed harness coming down steering column...inside are two white wires.....there should be a black connector...disconnect it......attach ohm meter to steering column side connector.....should have same reading as key......now rotate key to start several times(car won't crank).....resistance should be constant.....if it goes OL while turning, a wire is broken.....

There are two repairs.....replace the lock cylinder/wiring harness, OR just buy a resistor(same value as key), and attach it to the side of the connector going away from the column......this is the easiest solution......however, you are no longer protected By the PassKey system....

Offline nickb2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • help when I can
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
As Gus said, with key in and resistance read you can by-pass anti theft even if unit is faulty. This unit is quite expensive from dealer. Most likely if you have tilt steering it is a broken wire but may be unit. Any electronic hardware store will have a collection of varying resistances to chose from. Tip. do not heat shrink around resistance as you may change its value. It has happened to me! :thx
When it don't work, hit it!!!

If my free advice got you driving again, please hit the donate button so I can help you again in the future!
Help keep BAT alive!!

Offline brcidd

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
see if this helps-it's the resistances used by GM for VATS

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.