Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Chevy Trailblazer - Reduced Engine Power  (Read 3535 times)

Offline WWHowe

Chevy Trailblazer - Reduced Engine Power
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
My wife's 2004 Chevy Trailblazer (V6) recently had to have a new battery installed.   That day the engine cut out 2 times while she was driving.   Both times she was driving downhill and turning into a parking lot when the engine shut off.   All electrical stayed on during this.   Both times the "service engine soon" light came on.   After she turned the key to off, she was able to re-start the engine.   We have taken the car to our mechanic and he has checked the altenator, battery, and belts and they are all OK.   I did not get the error codes from him.

Now, a few days later, the "reduced engine power" light has also come on while driving.   Searching on the internet, I have found many posts from people with similar problems, but no definative answer.   (Solutions ranged from throttle control device to worn/frayed wire harness. )  I did find a TSB that appears to be very similar.   TSB# 3164A

Any help or suggestions would be VERY Appreciated!

Offline Ford_Dude

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: Chevy Trailblazer - Reduced Engine Power
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »
Does it stall if you don't feather the gas pedal ?

If so then:
My suggestion is to remove the idle air control, clean it and reinstall it. If that doesn't cure it then give it a little tap with the plastic end of a screw driver. Usually have somebody in the car to give it just enough gas to keep it running (in park) While they are keeping it running a good tap might unstick a stuck IAC.

Ford_Dude
Section 609 certified

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
Re: Chevy Trailblazer - Reduced Engine Power
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Even though I have never seen it work, if tapping on an IAC makes it work better then replace it. If it is sticking and after you cleaned it, is still sticking then tapping on it is only temporary and it will stick again. GM IAC's do get fluffy black soot on them and require cleaning. Does this vehicle even have a throttle cable or is it "Fly by wire"? Post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.