Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Camshaft Postion Sensor Code PO340  (Read 3346 times)

Offline RogerGym

Camshaft Postion Sensor Code PO340
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
Hi everyone,
I own a 1997 Ranger Truck.  I reclaimed the truck from being scraped and have rebuilt the truck.  The engine is a 2. 3 L.  I have an issue with a code PO340 camshaft position sensor.
I have checked all the wiring, replaced the sensor, checked the timing and cam marks,
Replaced the PCM and was reprogrammed with the latest up dates.  The wiring harness is in good condition with good shields and grounds.  I have had the truck at the dealer and they cannot find out why the code returns.  I can clear the code and it will return after two or three starts.  This truck uses a Waste Spark Ignition System.  I do not have a complete of accurate wiring diagram of the PCM.   I am using one that is in the Chiltonís repair manual.  It may not be as detailed as I need.  I understand how the system works.  If there is a noisy signal coming from the sensor it can trip the code.  However I cannot find any reason why the code returns.   The sensor is mounted on the oil pump.  The sensor picks up a magnetic pulse form the pulley mounted in front of the oil pump that is timed to the camshaft.  The only thing that I have not changed in this system are the coils and this Pulley.  Before I go to all the trouble to dismantle the front of the engine and replace this pulley, does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong with this ignition system? The truck runs fine other then this problem.  The problem is the truck will not pass emissions testing with this error code.   

Thanks,

Roger

Offline wap

• GO MOUNTAINEERS
Re: Camshaft Postion Sensor Code PO340
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »
any electrical noise in the system may trip the p0340.  check plug wires for arcing.  the most likely culprit is the alternator.  unplug the alternator, and i bet the code can be cleared.  had this happen to me once....wap

Offline maverik62

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »
Alright I have a 1996 ranger with a 2. 3 as well and have had this situation happen to me.   The problem was the radio interference canceler.   It should be sitting close to the valve cover on the engine block on the left side of the engine.   I replaced my valve cover gasket and forgot to reattach it.   Look on the wire for splits or a cut wire.   Hope this helps.

Offline RogerGym

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »
That was it.  I removed the plugs from the alternator cleared the code and it never returned.  I will replace the alternator.
Thanks,

Roger

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.