Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: '03 Dodge Caravan Radiator Fan Relay Control Switch  (Read 10680 times)

Offline charlie echo

'03 Dodge Caravan Radiator Fan Relay Control Switch
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »

2003 Dodge Caravan 3.    3L V-6
I bought this switch, because my radiator fans won't run and the car overheats.     I hot wired the fans to make sure they work.     No problem there, so I know its the switch.     Fuse relays are good.     My problem is I bought the relay you see above in photo for reference, but I have no idea where they buried it in the engine.     If someone could help me locate it so I could replace it, I would be indebted.     Photo and/or diagram would be nice too, but not a necessity.     Thanks.    

- what the heck, I can't post images to the forum? I tried, but they don't show up.     Anyway it has a custom plug and an all metal surface that is flat that appears to mount to a metal surface.    
Please, need help!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:08:26 PM by Tony »

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: '03 Dodge Caravan Radiator Fan Relay Control Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:07:56 PM »
Look under the bumper cover, in front of the radiator, on top of the metal bumper reinforcement, on the driver's side.

Or it may be on the frame below the radiator, close to the front of the transmission.

Good luck
Dan

Offline Tony

• Administrator
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
what the heck, I can't post images to the forum? I tried, but they don't show up.

Charlie, the reason you can't post images or links is bacause you don't have very many posts.
This forum won't allow anyone with less than 10 posts. (at least I think it is 10 posts)
It is a security measure for the forums. We realize that it may not make some people happy, but without it, we end up with less than favorable spammers posting.

I repaired the link so that the image will show up for you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:12:38 PM by Tony »
Never pass up the opportunity to shut up. A smart man knows what to say.
A wise man knows if he should say it or not.

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:11:47 PM »
The relay you are posting is not for a 2003. It's for a pre 1999. The solid state relay you need in larger and has a lot of cooling pins sticking out of it and in located in front of the ac condensor mounted on the frame rail. So it will have the best cooling to keep the relay from overheating. You must remove the upper core support to replace this relay. I rec you buy this relay from the dealer.HTH Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »
Here is a pic of what Greasemonkey is talking about...hope this helps....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline charlie echo

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:52:40 AM »
Aaaaaah, thanks guys.  Thanks for fixing the picture and thanks for letting me know that was a pre 1999 relay I am holding in my hand.  I started to doubt that I found the relay because it looked nothing like the diagram you posted.  That is exactly what I was expecting to get from the parts store.  I will see if they have current model relays or visit my dealer.  Thanks.

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
Your welcome and let us know if it fixes your problem. If not post back and we will try and help. Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline charlie echo

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »
Well, is it any surprise that Advance auto parts lists the wrong part all the way to 2006 models? Does anyone know where I can get the right part other than the dealership? I live in a small town that only has one auto parts store.  I would have to go to the dealership.  45 min.  away.  I would rather order online.

Offline OzzyRules

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
Save your self some grief. Go to the dealer, get the right part. You already got 1 wrong part, how many more wrong parts do you want to look for on your van?

Offline Ford_Dude

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
Found a good part number, having worked for AAP this might be what you need to cross-refrence it to a good number. Airtek brand part number follows: 1r1684

Relay fits the following:
Buyer's Guide: AIRTEX 1R1684 Engine Cooling Fan Relay
CHRYSLER PACIFICA (2004 - 2006)
CHRYSLER PACIFICA LIMITED 2006
CHRYSLER PACIFICA TOURING 2006
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY (2001 - 2004)
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY LX 2001
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY LXI 2001
CHRYSLER VOYAGER (2001 - 2002)
CHRYSLER VOYAGER LX 2001
DODGE CARAVAN (2001 - 2005)

Best I can do, hopefully you get somebody on the counter who is good with the computer or the books. The G.P. book has this one marked wrong, so don't go by that book.
Ford_Dude
Section 609 certified

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:25:46 PM »
If you really don't want to go to the dealer you can have them look up the airtex 1r1684 number that Ford_dude posted and they can find it with that...You might find the dealer is not any more expensive than the parts store...Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline charlie echo

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »
Jim, Yeah, that's the one.   I paid $75 + tax at the dealership.

I replaced the "Fan control relay switch" and the fans come on just fine when the engine gets warm.   (They didn't come on before). 

But, I am still having trouble with the engine overheating.  I should have test drove it, but I was so sure that would have fixed the problem.   I loaded my family and went to church.   10 minutes later I had to turn around with the windows down and the heater on.   My wife was SO happy with me.   Anyway, the needle went up 3/4 to the top for a short moment then came down and stayed at 1/2 the whole way home.   The heat of the day or going uphill seems to trigger the engine temperature to skyrocket up. 

What else should I check? Thermostat?

BTW - You guys have a been a great help so far.   Thanks. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:29:12 AM by charlie echo »

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
Reccomend you replace the t-stat and make sure you bleed the air out of system. Also replace the radiator cap if it is not holding pressure it can also cause it to overheat. If this does not fix it reccomend you check for cold spots on radiator or have the cooling system block tested(this is a chemical that will change color if exhaust gases are in your cooling system) most radiator shop will be able to do this test or call around. Also when your fans came on did you notice if you had a low speed and a high speed. Low speed will come on first then the high speed if temp keeps going up. When you replace the t-stat fill the coolant through the opening for the t-stat until it is almost full. This will help it bleed air out faster when you first start it up, and make sure you have heater on full heat to make sure no air is trapped in the heater core. HTH and post back. Greasemonkey :)

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.