Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2003 Chevy Venture 3.4 with insufficient EGR flow  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
2003 Chevy Venture 3.4 with insufficient EGR flow
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
This van runs fine, but sometimes the CEL comes on for a P0401 code. I haven't taken anything apart yet. Please give me an opinion as to what you think is the most likely cause.

A. Passage between egr and intake is partially plugged. Can I clean it with a piece of wire about 5 inches long?

B. Passage between egr and exhaust manifold is partially plugged.

C. The egr is gunky and sticks sometimes.

D. The egr has an intermittent electrical problem.

This van has the very common 3.4 V6 and is totally stock. About 100,000 miles.
Dan

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2003 Chevy Venture 3.4 with insufficient EGR flow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:07 AM »
You pretty much have it covered....

Inspect for the following conditions:

A vacuum restriction to the MAP sensor--A skewed MAP sensor reading can cause the PCM to read incorrect MAP changes during the EGR flow test.

An engine that is running poorly due to a mechanical condition such as worn piston rings, worn camshaft, etc.--These types of conditions can cause low engine vacuum and thus can cause a less than expected MAP changes during the flow test.

Excessive back pressure in the exhaust system may cause this DTC to set. This condition can cause low engine vacuum and thus can cause a less than expected MAP changes during the EGR flow test. Possible causes of this could be a restriction in the exhaust system or non original equipment manufacture (OEM) exhaust parts. 

Exhaust system leaks can cause an insufficient amount of EGR flow through the EGR valve. This condition can cause a less than expected MAP changes due to insufficient exhaust back pressure. possible causes of this could be a leaking exhaust system, a leaking EGR pipe or non original equipment manufacture (OEM) exhaust parts. 

A restriction in the intake manifold such as carbon deposits and casting flash

Offline Mobile Dan

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
Gus, thank you for the very descriptive info on what conditions might set the p0401 code.

Maybe I should have asked more direct questions...

What would be considered the most likely cause?

Can I clean out the intake with a short piece of stiff wire without removing the intake? (I'm trying to give this customer a labor cost estimate.)

Thank you,
Dan

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
Dan, stiff wire could work, but I've found it better to use the frayed end of a speedometer cable or brake cable so it acts as a "brush" to clean out the passage.  Whatever you do, make sure you don't leave any particles behind, as they can get caught in the EGR valve pintle.
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline Mobile Dan

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:52:28 PM »
Thanks, Moparfan. I'll try to find something better than plain stiff wire if I have to clean out the passage.

Is a plugged intake a common problem on this engine?

Dan

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
The plenum doesn't have to be plugged.....all it needs is a slight restriction, due to dirt/oil accumulating on the flashing in the passageway....the restriction is enough so that the  slight opening of the EGR is not picked up by the MAP...

Offline Mobile Dan

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Is a restricted EGR passage a common problem on the GM 3.4 V6?

Can I clean it without removing the manifold? Just the EGR valve, and maybe the throttle body?

Thank you for your help and patience,
Dan

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:20:44 AM »
Seen it happen more on 3.1's that 3.4's....

Have seen people run a wire throughthe plenum and it worked.....here's the problem....you run the risk of breaking off a chunk of gunk or flashing, that can be sucked into the engine, and though remote, could get stuck under a valve, creating another problem....chances of this happening are rare, but it could happen.....

The recommended method is to remove the upper plenum,  and acid bath the passageway....

But I have seen others take the shortcut and it works out fine....to quote Harry Callahan, "Do you feel lucky, Punk?"

Offline Mobile Dan

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:28:50 AM »
If I have to clean it, I will block open the throttle and use a shop-vac to blow air into the intake during the cleaning process. Hopefully, any chunks that come loose will be blown out of the passage instead of falling into the manifold.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.