Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Baxter

03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I just bought a 2003 Vue from Carmax: 2.  2l 4cyl 5-speed manual.    It needed some work before I got it (valve replacement I think, code was P0302 cylinder misfire).   Now it is reporting P1516 and sometimes P1515 (throttle position related), and it is enforcing the Reduced Power mode.   It drives well enough to limp in to the dealer for my Monday appointment but that's it.   I don't really know what I'm doing diagnosis-wise, but I know a couple of things:

1.   Throttle plate opens fine by hand, and springs back closed when released.     
2.   My OBDII scanner (ScanGauge II) reports a change in throttle position when I move the throttle plate by hand.     
3.   The scanner does not report a change in throttle position when the accelerator is pressed, whether the engine is running or not.     
4.   Throttle plate flutters quickly a few times when the engine is started.     
5.    The voltage on some wire connected to the top of the throttle changes in the 3-5 volt range relative to ground when the accelerator pedal is pressed.     
6.   Idle is very rough.     
7.   Forgot to mention this all began when I stalled the car right after starting it by being careless with the clutch.   Twice in a row.   After that it wouldn't start at all until the next morning, when the trouble codes started appearing.

I couldn't find any TSBs that seemed relevant, not that I know where to look or how to tell if they're relevant.     

I am wondering if I need to back out of this deal (two major mechanical problems in two weeks?).   Any thoughts on whether this car will be fine once this is repaired, or am I doomed to repeated service visits if I keep this thing? I should still have a day or two to back out under Carmax's refund policy.   But I like the  car.  .  . 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:08:32 PM by Baxter »

Offline abrad

Re: 03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »
302 is a misfire in cylinder 2 (last digit is the cylinder that is the problem).  Start by checking plugs & wires - swap a plug and see if the code changes to the "new" location.

Check for loose wires going to the injectors, plugs, etc.  Does this model have the individual coils on top of the spark plugs?  One of those going bad can also cause a misfire...
If ya want it done right, then ya gotta do it yourself!

Offline Baxter

Re: 03 Saturn Vue throttle problems?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
Actually the 302 has been taken care of and I haven't seen it since the last repair - it's just the 1516/1515 now.

Edit: . . . but thanks for your comment.   I did find a couple of TSBs that sound vaguely related:

Service Bulletin Number : 01802A     Date of Bulletin : JAN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number : 10007965    
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Summary : APP SENSOR 2 AND/OR TP SENSOR 2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT VOLTAGES DROP.  *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 3116     Date of Bulletin : JAN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number : 10009971    
Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary : SES ILLUMINATED ENGINE MISS/MISFIRE FEEL OR ROUGH IDLE.  *SC
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:36:23 PM by Baxter »

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.