Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: poulan Chainsaw won't start  (Read 14888 times)

Offline cdz

poulan Chainsaw won't start
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »
Hello,

I have a Poulan Chainsaw, Wildthing, that is very hard to start.   It is less then two years old has fresh gas, and a new plug.   I had it running a couple of weeks ago and it ran great for one tank of fuel.   It seems to flood very easily.   I am about to throw it accross the yard even though I know that won't help.   Any ideas or suggestions?

Offline Russ

Re: poulan Chainsaw won't start
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »
they call them Pull-on's for a reason.

Start with the basics. New plug, check for spark. Make sure you have the right oil gas mix. They are tempermental with dirty air filters. I was told by someone that the poulan is a husqee design. Very similar but less quality parts. I have seen nothing to back that claim up. Do what I said and pull-on it som'more.
" I could take it to the dealer, but then I wouldnt learn a damn thing"

"If being a mechanic was easy, then everyone would want to be one"

Offline boobytrap

Weedeater experience
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:46 AM »
Well, 14 yrs.  ago, purchased 1st Featherlite weedeater.  Ran it 7 yrs.  wore it slam out.  Bought another one, ran it 7 yrs.  wore it slam out.  Bought a new one last March.  Trash.  Took the 1st one back the first day, second one was always hard to start.  Last week, start in choke position, but keeps leaning out.  2 yrs warranty right? Don't let them fool you, not on the fuel system or carb.  I called the 800 #, they are aware of the problems, but offer no help.  $27/hr for mechanics, can't adjust the carb.  Special tool required.  The government and it's infinite wisdom, well, not the government, we're the government, the beareaucrats and their Californina emissions.  Trashed it, got a RedMax.  Will not buy another product associated in anyway with this name.  Whew, I feel much better.  Yes, I know the RedMax engine is made in Japan.  What can I say.   $. 02 :-*

Offline tombtomb

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »
Ck 4 weak spark. Remove the plug & with wire attached pull rope . If spark is absent or weak then bad coil. Lemeeme know, Thomas

Offline wirenut

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
I have an older poulan and had many problems with it.  Pulled my hair out for a long time, until one day I figured I had nothing to lose.  I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it, and noticed there was a SMALL (3/16 ") hole with a SCREEN in it( I think it is the fuel pump.  Just a cover with a diaphragm ).  I used a small awl to pull the screen and it was filled with wood particles.  Cleaned it put everything back together and now runs perfect.  Stuff gets into the fuel tank during refill and use and made its way into the carb.  I put an inline filter on the hose from the tank to carb, and haven't had a problem since.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.