Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 4l60e not engaging in OD or 3rd  (Read 8905 times)

Offline Danielswan

4l60e not engaging in OD or 3rd
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
its a long story.  ok my buddies 98 z71 5. 7, he went to put it in reverse on the opening morning of deer season and it started making noises but no movement.  he did still have 1st and 3rd but no OD and 2nd.  after searching for a few days i found the sunshell to be the likely problem.  so we decided to pull the tranny from  the truck and tear it down and sure enough the sunshell and sunshell gear were stripped out, so we orderd some parts.  deluxe rebuild kit 180$, beast sunshell 75$, sunshell gear 20$, transgo seperator plate 15$, i also found the 3-4 accumilator piston pin was missing 18$, and the 1-2 accumilator spring was busted 20$,
 i cleaned it all up real good, installed the updated pistons and new clutches and followed the atsg manual and several postings off the net, tore the valve body down and cleaned it , greased it and meterd out the solenoids except number six because it is not in the book but i have found it is the tcc solenoid and should not cause my problem. did not rebuild the pump but did replace the gaskets and orings, i figured it worked fine before  you know.
 so now all back together reverse works great, the sunshell did the trick and second, OD work great.  but when setting still when you shift to  OD or 3rd it labors a little but dose not fully engage in first, if you give it a little gas it barely moves forward. if you put it in second it will start out in second, if its in 1st it starts in first but slips a little.  when its in OD or 3rd it flt like the band might be holding so i double checked the servo assy and it seemed awfull dry, not much fluid in it.
 when you drive down the road manually shifting through the gears it shifts strong and runs great it seems, kicks down good, downshifts good, tcc apply works,
                            please help

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
Re: 4l60e not engaging in OD or 3rd
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
What did you use for a pan gasket? There is a little bleed hole right in the pan rail and if you used RTV then the chances are you covered the hole. Another big thing is 3 of the valve body bolts are just a little longer and have different heads to mark them, if placed in the wrong hole, the bolt will actually hit the sun shell inside the case. Either way act quickly as this trans will cook quickly causing you to re-do the job. Post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
so there is a bleed or vent in the panrail to allow the air to excape and that may be why it is not filling with fluid? i am going to work on it tomorrow and will report back.  also i believe the 3-2 on-off solenoid is bad, should be 20-30 ohms and it is 11 ohms.  and  the tcc should be 10-15 ohms but it was 21 ohms.  not really sure if that means there bad, they worked fine before.  thanks for your input Transman.

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
The bleed in the pan rail is strictly for the servo. Be careful of the year when checking those solenoids, Those sound like the early specs and when they went to PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) the specs changed. Transman
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 06:07:33 AM »
Thanks Transman, didnt know about the bleed.  and yes i do have the updated book from atsg, i have the valve body off and will be checking it out today

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »
i am using the cork gasket that came with the rebuild kit and i did find some gunk in the bleed hole.  and the three longer bolts were in the right location

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »
The "gunk in the bleed hole". Was it enough to stop fluid from exiting? Transman

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:07:44 AM »
ya, it was probly enough to atleast seriously slow it down.  i tore down the valve body yesterday and all the solenoids tested good.  tcc pwm 11ohms 3-2 0n 0ff was 21ohms, a and b are 22 ohms,
 the only thing i found wrong was thepressure control valve, it was completely backwards.  the one with the sonnix fix.

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »
"Backwards"? Do you mean wrong connector to it? Or in the wrong hole? Either way if it doesn't cause this problem it WILL cause others. Post your results, Transman

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 07:46:59 AM »
the books are in my buddies garage so i am trying to remember the name of the valve lineup that was backwards, it is the one next to the tcc pwm valve.  anyhow i fixed that and it still has the same problem.  i am beginning to think i messed something up internal but not sure what.  i know i took the forward sprag assy apart and cleaned and tested it, seemed to be fine,all new clutches wich  seem to be working except i noticed yesterday 1st is slipping, i hope its not the clutch pack.  i am going to try to convince my freind to let me pull the tranny again to double check before he drives it to a shop to get tested.  might burn it up i am thinking. i tell ya if i had known then what i know now i would have done things differantly, i probly would not have gotten into the clutches at all.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how far off to beer 30

Offline Transman

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »
Your symptoms seem a bit confusing to me. I am to understand that if you put it into OD the vehicle will not move until you put it into range 2. Is that correct? Did you check the sprag's direction? It is easy to install backwards. The ATSG manual will show you which way it needs to lock and which way is freewheeling. Post back, Transman

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »
yes that is correct.  i used the atsg manual for the rebuil and i tore down the forward sprag , cleaned it and tested it for correct rotation, seemed to be ok.
 but i decided to pull the tranny back out. i have been through the valve body, it is perfect.  triple checked the servo, its working great.  so i am starting over hoping i missed something inside.  i will have it out this morning and tore down by tonight.  i probly messed something up.

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 07:32:08 AM »
a question i forgot to ask was about the pnbu switch on the driver side "external" of the tranny.  we had the same problem everyone has with it.  the switch failed, got hot and the sealent leaked into the female connector.  i'm sure youknow the deal.  cleaned up the old pigtails by soaking them overnight.  how precise does that switch need to be adjusted, the books say nothing about really. 

Offline Danielswan

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 08:04:07 AM »
symptems are, reverse works great, nuetral works, when driving down the road shifting through the gears starting in first or second it shifts good through all gears, it downshifts good, when light break pressure apply it raises 200 rpm aprox, but when at a stop if the gear selector is in 3rd or OD it does not engage in first or atleast not completely, it labors slightly and tries to creep forward a couple inches and if you lightly tap the throttle it may move a couple inches.  no ginding or scraping noises, it sounds great.  i have changed the trans fluid three or four times since rebuild and the fluid has no debris in it, fluid looks great.  although i am not running it long at all because i dont wantto burn it  up. but i have braught it up to temp a few times.
 but i tell you what, it shifts a lot better then it has in a long time, it was clunking every time it shfted before, i guess two broken accumilators and onewith missing parts will do that.  the guys that rebuilt his tranny out in vegas really gave him the shaft, the way i figure it all of those hard shifts over the years didnt help things much.

Offline EricC

• BAT Mechanic Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
a question i forgot to ask was about the pnbu switch on the driver side "external" of the tranny.  we had the same problem everyone has with it.  the switch failed, got hot and the sealent leaked into the female connector.  i'm sure youknow the deal.  cleaned up the old pigtails by soaking them overnight.  how precise does that switch need to be adjusted, the books say nothing about really. 

Actually, that sealant is meant to be there. It keeps water and debris out of the connector. In the future, to remove and install one of these, use a heat gun to get the sealant hot for both removal and installation. As far as the switch alignment, the notches in the switch should line up (see diagram). One of the more common symptoms of a misaligned switch is a notable lag in the PRNDL display when shifting from park to drive.

This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription.
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs & recalls $24.95/year.
Images used with permission 2006 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.