Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Taurus with low brake pedal  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Bob H

Taurus with low brake pedal
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »
A friend as a 1994 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 engine it has 68,000 miles this car as Anti lock brakes
The problem he is having is the pedal is very low and the right side brake pad hit metal the caliper piston would turn but would not go in so we replaced both calipers pads and rotors I could not get any fluid to come out of the new calipers so I replaced  the brake hoses now I have fluid coming out of the bleeders I open up all four bleeds i'm not getting any air I have all fluid  the pedal is still very low I don't see any leaks I even let it  gravity bleed some I full the calipers with fluid be for i but the on the car hopping to cut down on air did I do something wrong by doing that? can the master be bad as well and is there away to check the master Also to add he as been driving the car with very low pedal for a few months

Offline stu

• BAT Admin
Re: Taurus with low brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
I hope you put the calipers on the proper side.
The bleed screws are to the top.

Rear brake adjustment is critical for pedal height.
I am in a state of confusion.

Offline Bob H

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »
I hope you put the calipers on the proper side.
The bleed screws are to the top.
Yes The bleed screws are to the top.
Rear brake adjustment is critical for pedal height.

Offline Bob H

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
Yes both The bleed screws are to the top.

Offline Russ

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
That car has a differential switch/ valve, mounted over the left rear torsion arm. Looks like a little aluminum box with brake lines coming and going. You need to depress that switch to get air and oil out of the rear. Do you have rear disk brakes? If it is jacked up ( wheels off the ground, you will get very little brake pressure back at the rear wheels. I always bled them with the engine off with pretty good results.
" I could take it to the dealer, but then I wouldnt learn a damn thing"

"If being a mechanic was easy, then everyone would want to be one"

Offline Bob H

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »

So I guess it's time to try and replace the master and take from there.

Offline tercr6

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
Someone mentioned rear disk .

Ford came out with some updated calipers .

Also as was mentioned the have to be adjusted correctly .

Don't forget the emergencies are Incorporated in them .

Offline al daniels

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »
good point.if the e brake isnt working,ie has excessive travel,chances are the rear calipers have to be turned out .

Offline Bob H

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
There are adjustments on rear brake/calipers? His brakes were very low be for I replaced the calipers
I have all fluid coming out of the bleeders.

Offline al daniels

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
yep theres a tool to turn the pistons in so you can install the new pads.then you use the same tool to turn piston out until you get a nice close fit.how much travell on the ebrake handle?this is a good indication of rear brake adjustment on both disc and drum brakes.

Offline Bob H

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:06 PM »
OK I replaced the master and still no brake pedal
Anyone know whats going on here?

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:20 AM »
I know this is not going to sound right to you but do it any way. To adjust rear calipers use a pair of pliers or a cresent wrench to apply the parking brake arm at the caliper. Now with a hammer lightly tap on the caliper then realease the park brake arm. This will move the piston out to adjust the brake. Repeat this step on both side until the park brake arm feels tight and the brake pedal is good. The proper way is to apply the park brake and then apply foot pressure to the brake pedal but it rarely works. The other method works much better. Believe me have done it too many time to count it works. So long as you have all the air out of the system. Good luck!!! Greasemonkey
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline Bob H

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »
I'm going to try Greasemonkey trick and see if that will do anything what is it with Ford updated calipers?
The calipers I picked up came from Autozone.  The piston is up to the pads if I turn it out any more the calipers will not go on.  Both park brake cables move free
parking brake works very good.  I talked to a guy in a repair shop he told me that them cars can't be bleed off the ground is this true? I have done it in the pass with a good out come.  I been doing brakes for 20 years on all kinds of cars and light truks for frinds and family I never had this happen or had a hard time I'm starting to feel like a fool I think when this is fixed or if it's fixed I'm sticking with small engin repair.  Thanks to everyone that's trying to help me.

Offline csaxon

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
Does this apply to you?

SUBJECT
Adjusting older Ford rear calipers that use pistons with two holes or a nut, in the face of the
piston.
CONDITION
These calipers require special procedures during caliper removal and installation to ensure a high,
hard brake pedal
. Damage to the caliper piston adjusting mechanism may also happen.
SOLUTION
Unlike most rear calipers that employ the hydraulic brake and the mechanical park brake with
the same piston, these caliper pistons must rotate to work. THEY DO NOT LOCK INTO A
BUTTON ON THE INBOARD BRAKE PAD.
To remove calipers from the rotor:
- take actuator lever off the caliper
- undo parking brake end retainer cap 1/2 turn only ( Figure 1 )
- push piston back into the caliper with C-clamp or pry bar ( do not rotate piston )
To install caliper and brake pads:
- with piston bottomed in caliper, install caliper and pads over rotor
- with pry bar, slide caliper out until the inboard pad contacts the rotor
- observe air gap to outboard pad and remove the caliper ( e.g. 1/4 inch )
- with Ford tool, socket or needle nose pliers, turn piston out of caliper. Each 360 degree
turn moves the piston out approximately 1/8 inch ( e.g. rotate almost 2 full turns )

- install caliper back onto rotor

Offline Bob H

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
Well I did everyting and no luck so now I guess I go to the ABS.  >:(

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.