Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Automatic transmission shift speeds  (Read 7273 times)

Offline gary fox

Automatic transmission shift speeds
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »
1994 dodge caravan 3.0 6
I just had the trans. rebuilt. What speed should it shift from 1st. to 2nd. and 2nd. to 3rd. ? It is shifting at 20 mph from 1st. and 30 mph from 2nd. the shifts are hard. I am used to it shiftimg at lower speeds and smoother. Is it a quick easy fix for the repair shop that did the re-build?

Offline ironhead

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: Automatic transmission shift speeds
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:54:42 PM »
Check the TV cable or linkage. (I`m not sure which one you have). It runs from the throttle body down to the transmission. If it is broken,disconnected, or adjusted too loose, you will have late, hard shifts. If it is too tight, you will have stacked shifts (one right after the other). I have also run into the linkage being rusted and not moving smoothly.  It should be easy to find, and when you move the throttle, the linkage/cable should move easily and smoothly with it.

Offline gary fox

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »
Should I leave this adjustment for the repair shop that just rebuilt the trans? Don't have much faith in him since I only made it 8 miles after he rebuilt it the first time. This is the second time in a week. He said he needs to increase the oil pressure.

Offline ironhead

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
First, I would check that the cable or linkage is attached. I have seen people put the tranny in and forget to connect it. (I`ve done it myself, but at least I knew there was a problem when I test drove it.) Also make sure it moves freely. If all that checks out, I will tell you how to adjust it. It`s not really that hard
Guy

Offline Cheef

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
    • Ultimate Soccermom Minivans
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 06:28:57 AM »
The shift points will be relative to how fast you are accelerating. In a casual rate, maybe 25% throttle, I'd say the 1-2 shift is late and the 2-3 is early. If memory serves correctly 12-15 MPH on the 1-2 shift light throttle....35-40 on the 2-3 shift again light throttle. You have the 31TH / A670 trans in this unit.

Everything should be put into the hands of the critter who rebuilt it, else he will claim you did some unauthorized repairs.

There is a throttle valve linkage attached mechanically to the engines throttle body assembly...this is where the air goes into the engine from the air cleaner box.

There is no break in or learning on this trans also....you have what you have after the rebuild.

This is a very straightforward trans to rebuild. Be cautioned that he already sounds like he likes to blame everyone/anything except sloppy rebuild standards.

Be firm, be polite....but if took money...you deserve adequate service.

Cheef

Author, Lecturer, Traveler, Bum
Covert UW Operator, Jungle Fighter
Man Among Men, Seldom Among Women
Legend in My Own Mind
Lustslaker of A604's and Offspring

Offline gary fox

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
 ??? The linkage and cables look ok and are connected and operating. Should I try to adjust it myself or take it back to a guy I have no faith in?

The 30 to 40 shift into 3rd seems high since most of my driving is at 25 - 35 mph and at those speeds it is down shifting with very little increase in throtle pressure. I don't remember it being that sensitive or the shifts being so hard. If the car in front of me slows to turn it down shifts for no reason. If it is a simple linkage adjustment I don't mind doing it myself if that is what will make it work.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:30:38 PM by gary fox »

Offline ironhead

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 08:15:06 PM »
Bear with me, I`m home for the weekend, so my access to info is limited. I just put a call out for some help to get you the correct procedure for adjusting that linkage. Hopefully someone will post in here soon. If not, I`ll keep looking for the procedure.
Guy

Offline gary fox

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
I had a busy day today and am home now. I'll keep checking for your info.

Offline gary fox

Normal trans. shift speeds
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »
 >:( 94 Dodge Caravan 3.0 liter v6 automatic trans.
20 min. and 5 mi. after trans. rebuilt by a repair shop, had to get towed back in. 2nd. attempt, 5 days later, 1st. to 2nd. shift is at 20-25 mph and 2nd. to 3rd. is at 30-35 mph and shifts are hard. Doesn't shift to 3rd. at all unless I take foot off the gas. This is on streets where speed limit is 30 or 35. At these speeds I am used to it shifting smooth where I almost don't feel them. I can under stand the higher speed shifts if I were accelerating to 45-50. The repair shop told me to drive for a week and see if it breaks in. He said he might have to increase the fluid pressure. Isn't there a simple throttle linkage to the trans. adjustment that might correct the problem? Is this something I should let him correct though I no longer have any faith in him? Or is it simple enough that I can try something?

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
Re: Normal trans. shift speeds
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 09:01:59 PM »
Sorry, but you are trying to qualify for the sucker of the year award. They have not done their job properly and you are having the problem. This trans should be the 604 but you said nothing about 4th gear. If it is a 3 speed trans then there will be a throttle adjustment or most likely a missing return spring on the linkage. Post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline gary fox

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »
The repair shop owner told me it is a 3 speed. It does go into an o.d. or fuel economy mode at 40mph. There is a spring on the linkage were it connects and goesdown to the trans. Is it a simple adjustment or should I take it back again. When I told him it is not shifting right is when he said he would have to increase the oil or fluid pressure. After driving it again today at speeds between 25-30 it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. If I drop just below 30 and accelerate back to 30 or so it wants to down shift. Also as I mentioned before the shifts are hard. If I accelerate to 30-35 and maintain the throttle pressure it seems to hang there for quite a while before it shifts. If I am accelerating from 0 to 45 it's OK but the shifts still seem hard compared to what I was used to.

Offline ironhead

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
Is yours a cable or a rod linkage? ( 2 differant procedures)
Guy

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:35:11 PM »
Increasing fluid pressure is BS!
You might as well try your hand at adjusting the TP, how much worse could you do? Adjust it by feel on the road and if the shifts do not change then the problem is inside the trans.
The adjustment is fairly simple, more throttle pressure (lengthen the rod) equals later AND harder shifts (both). Lessen the throttle pressure (shorten the rod) equals earlier AND softer shifts.
There may be 2 springs, one is actually on the throttle rod pushing the linkage (at the bottom where it connects to the trans) and the most important one is pulling the rod to the stop at the throttle body. Good luck and post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline gary fox

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 05:21:48 PM »
I believe it is rod linkage going to he trans. A cable comes from the gas pedal on like a pulley where another cable and vaccum line goes to a module under the battery mount. Where the cables are together on this pulley like thing the linkage is connected and goes to the trans. Not sure if this module is some how connected to the trans, I didn't look that close. I'll check when the car gets home.

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »
The "module under the battery mount" is your cruise control servo.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.