Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 99 durango brake bleeding  (Read 1746 times)

Offline rjh1

• Putting forth an effort to try and help others
99 durango brake bleeding
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
99 durango,,,270,000 mi,,,replaced both rear brake lines and l. rear w/c,,,got some air and fluid to come out of r. rear bleeder and thats it,,where the lines come off the master and go to the abs block I can get fluid to come out both the line in front and line out the back ,, but cant seem to get fluid to the rear,,could the be a great ammount of air,,,trying to bleed with motor running,,,no brake lite on  on dash or abs lite while running.. i have a vacuum pump bleeder should i try that ...also which is the correct sequence to bleed...

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 99 durango brake bleeding
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
If you let air get into the ABS system you will need a ABS brake capable scanner to bleed it.
For bleeding the regular brake part a pressure bleeder works better.
But you may have to hold the combination valve open or put a holding tool on it.
Crunch
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline rjh1

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:29:56 AM »
did get some fluid to come out of both rear bleeders..but not great amounts when i have help and the pedal is held firm the block next to the master a pin comes out in the front but not on the rear, i can see this when the rubber covers are off,,what is this holding tool you talk of and is there any pictures of how to do it,,,what type of scanner has that capability to assist...the odd part is the rear s were not working even before the line broke..i had the r rear drum off and had someone push the pedal and neither wheel cyl would stroke...even when i had line off rear hose didn't lose fluid..someone replaced wheel cyls they look new...trying to help my neighbor with this he's older and can't afford a garage repair bill....fixed income....I'm just trying to help him out

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »
Open a front bleeder and leave it open and then see if you can get fluid to come out the rear.
Parts places should have a holding tool for the equalizer.
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline rjh1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »
well it turned out to be a bad rear brake hose......seems it collapsed....could not blow air thru it either direction....replaced hose and bleed rears...adjusted up and they work great...THANKS

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.