Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2001 Dodge Caravan - front end noises  (Read 2131 times)

Offline pilotjones

2001 Dodge Caravan - front end noises
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:03:17 PM »
Hi. If you could help me out so I have some information before I go for some repairs, I would greatly appreciate it!

The car: 2001 Dodge Caravan, V6, automatic, 2WD

The problem it has had since we bought it in 2002/3:  clunking sound in the front end when going over every road irregularity. Constant.

The new problem that sounds really bad on top of this:  turning the wheels produces a creaking sound, like a creaky door in a horror movie, when the car is either standing still or while driving.

Some service history:
 - 2003: dealer replaced front sway bar links, no charge under warranty
 - 2005ish:  another garage replaced something in the front end, which also failed to get rid of the clunking noise.
 - early 2007 (before creaking sound started): a mechanic doing other work said that he could fix the clunking sound. I think he said it was sway bar links, but not sure. (Did not have this done at the time.)

While I've grown used to the clunking, the creaking is a bit scary. Given the poor history with the clunking, I'd like to walk into a shop with some preparation. Can you help me out?

Thanks.

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: 2001 Dodge Caravan - front end noises
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »
Most often when the clunk remains after the stabilizer links are replaced, these need the bushings around the body of the stabilizer bar itself.  They're just rubber, and the hole around the bar gets ovaled, allowing the bar to clunk inside the rubber itself.  I would suggest starting there for two reasons: 1. It's older and needs them anyway, and 2. It's probably the cheapest thing you can try.  By this time, the stabilizer links may be worn again, and it is most likely due for new struts, so don't rule them out as additional possibilities.   4743024AD is the most common part number for those bushings from the dealer, but some touring suspensions have different numbers.  Use the VIN from the van to get the correct number.

As for the creaking noise, this is most often a tie rod or ball joint going bad.
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline pilotjones

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:37 AM »
Thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

Regarding
As for the creaking noise, this is most often a tie rod or ball joint going bad.
is this a safety issue that should be addressed immediately?

Offline MoparFan

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
Yes, it should be checked as soon as possible to avoid that particular part separating, causing a loss of control. 
I am not Monty Hall, and we ain't playing "Let's Make a Deal."

Offline allpro

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
There is a TSB on the stableizer bas bushings, I just replaced them in a 2001 caravan with the same complaint, noise is gone . fixed

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.