Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Starter Relay location on 95 Windstar...  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Pete

• Sponsoring Member
Starter Relay location on 95 Windstar...
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »
Hey again everyone!
Can someone give me the location of the starter relay on this 95 Windstar with a 3.8L and 222K on it?
Starting is intermittent and I'm not sure it's the starter as it doesn't have the signs such as a clicking when the ignition is turn to the start position and I jumped the starter and it spun but didn't engage. I'm thinkin' relay but I just can't find the thing and the fuse box under the hood just refers you back to the manual which this lady doesn't have.
Thanks so much and as always, God bless you folks for helping out others in need!
Peter
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
James 4:8

Offline Ford_Dude

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: Starter Relay location on 95 Windstar...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
There are actually a couple of relays/solenoids in the starting circuit. There is a relay in the under-hood relay box its a common run of the mill relay that you can swap out with another relay as they are multi use. Just compare the part #'s before you swap. Next there is a starter solenoid that should be mounted up by the fender, this is commonly the one that everyone jumps with a screw driver to get the car to crank over. Seen numerous ones replaced and its not too expensive to replace. Last is the solenoid on the starter itself, usually people replace the starter if they want to service it.

From your description it sounds like the motor is good, however the starter drive gear is not being kicked out and turning the flywheel. I would look for a problem on the starter myself. How old is this starter ? And for that matter how old is the battery ?

Ford_Dude
Section 609 certified

Offline Pete

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply Ford dude! I am most grateful!!
From what she tells me she's never replaced it and she' put on about 175K on this. The battery looks to be new (no grit or grime accumulated).
The strange this is she just called and told me it started. That sounds just like a starter motor, doesn't it? Could a relay do that also?
God bless!
Peter

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 01:08:54 PM »
The starter should have a solenoid on it.
The little wire going to it sometmes has a connection problem on the plug in.
Whe no start check it ther  there and see if it is getting 12 volts to and threw that plugin and wire.
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline Pete

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 01:55:15 PM »
12 Volts when the ignition is turned to START? Sorry for my ignorance. I am just mechanically inclined with cars to get me into trouble sometimes.
Thanks crunch and God bless!
Peter

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
If you are getting 12 volts to small wire at the solenoid ad the solenoid wire connector at solenoid iis good.
Starter sholld kick in if starter s good and it has good battery voltage on positive battery cabel.

If it is only acting up at times you my have to catch it in the act to test it.
If you replace the starter check on a brand new one.

Sometimes about a cheap as a rebuilt.
Good Luck.
Crunch
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.