Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2002 Hyundia Sonata tranmission fluid change  (Read 5570 times)

Rob

2002 Hyundia Sonata tranmission fluid change
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:58:15 AM »
For our 2002 Hyundia Sonata with 130K miles on its 2.4L DOHC 16 valve engine, the dealer says that they never replace the transmission filter during a transmission fluid change but only backflush the system using $6.00/per quart Hyundia 3 tranny fluid.  They say that this is the only way to get all of the dirty fluid out of the converted which doesn't fully drain during a standard tranny transmission fluid draining.  The fluid is a bit dark and has probably never been changed. The vehicle doesn't shift to a more economical gear until it warms up.  I saw in some discussion on the internet that someone recommended ATF+3 and not to use an after market filter but the dealer says that they don't commonly sell this filter.  This tranny would take the internal filter if it were replaced.  What has your experience been in this area?

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2002 Hyundia Sonata tranmission fluid change
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 12:04:29 PM »
First thing use only the Hyundia fluid the owners manual or good book calls for.
Let what you hear on the net go in one ear and out the other..
The Hyundai fluid new is red but it is normal for it to turn brown after 15-25K miles.
Red color is only the red dye in fluid and does not indicate the condition of fluid.

The Hyundia service table is  change AT fluid ever 30K for severe service and 105K for normal service.
But My own personal cars get changed ever 50K or sooner.

The transmission filter is internal and takes about 8.5 -10 hrs to tear down transmission to change.

The shifting may be normal for it.
Has it always been that way?
Ask your dealer about it.

Click on pdf below for the Hyundia recommended way to change the fluid.
And only use the good Hyundia fluid the owners manual or good book calls for in it

[attachment deleted by admin]
OEM parts only hurt one time Crunch said that.
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:04:52 PM »
Crunch, I think you mis-read. He has a hyundai, not honda. The Hyundai has a replaceable filter inside the pan. They use several styles of filter from the screen type to the Dacron filter. Lots of bolts to get the pan off and be careful because they break easily, apply a bit of pb blaster or something like that before you start. Use ONLY the recommended factory fluid, these guys are very sensitive to fluids and quirky at best. I do not recommend a flush as they tend to do more damage than help. Service it regularly, I recommend yearly.
As for the later shifts, these transmissions will delay shifts due to temp, outside and engine. You need to see if the engine is warming up properly, bad thermostat? You also need to verify what the temp sender is telling the pcm. If the computer thinks the engine is cold then it will delay shifts accordingly regardless of actual temp, a bad sending unit can do this.
Are there any codes? Post back, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
Crunch, I think you mis-read. He has a hyundai, not honda. The Hyundai has a replaceable filter inside the pan. They use several styles of filter from the screen type to the Dacron filter. Lots of bolts to get the pan off and be careful because they break easily, apply a bit of pb blaster or something like that before you start. Use ONLY the recommended factory fluid, these guys are very sensitive to fluids and quirky at best. I do not recommend a flush as they tend to do more damage than help. Service it regularly, I recommend yearly.
As for the later shifts, these transmissions will delay shifts due to temp, outside and engine. You need to see if the engine is warming up properly, bad thermostat? You also need to verify what the temp sender is telling the pcm. If the computer thinks the engine is cold then it will delay shifts accordingly regardless of actual temp, a bad sending unit can do this.
Are there any codes? Post back, Transman

Transman
Here is what All Data says.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cheap after market stuff will bite you many times. My brother in law is learning that the hard way.

Offline Transman

• We may be right or wrong, but we don't learn by being right
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
  • Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
    • Ed's Auto Service, est. 1950
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:29:49 PM »
Crunch, I know by 03 the hyundai had moved the filter deep inside but the last 02 that I did still had the filter in the pan. It may have to do with the production date and run and I "assumed" that the filter in his would still be in the pan. Shopkey still calls for .7 for a trans filter in '02. Dunno the answer on his for sure except to say that it might still be inside the pan area and it might not be. Sorry, Transman
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline crunch

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:21:33 PM »
10-4 Transman.
 I was going by what All Data said.
But if you found one on a 02 at least some of the have them in the pan.
It might be wise for him to have a look at his.
Crunch

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.