Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: '00 Ply Neon won't start...  (Read 2802 times)

Kelly

'00 Ply Neon won't start...
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Over 100k miles on it...  The day before It shut down I  had ran it pretty low on fuel.  Once filling it up, I came home and washed the car.  Next moring it doesn't start.  When you try and start it, its not lugging or clicking like a dead battery.  I just doesn't want to fire. 

I also had the timing belt worked on about a year ago.  After having my car for over 2 months I got frustrated w/ the mechanic.  The mechanic said there was a piece inside the timing belt, that would give me trouble it didnt get fixed.  At the moment I'm not sure what it is. 

So heres what I plan on doing today.  I going to remove the calbes from my battery to try and reset the sensors.  I've already bought  new spark plugs, (it needed it). I'm not sure if they are even catching a spark, so tonight I'm going to try that.  I'm also going to see about buying something that will remove the water from my fuel. 

I also wanted to know if there are two fuel filters one inside the gas take, and one on the outside.  If anyone has any suggestions, any help would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Jason

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: '00 Ply Neon won't start...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
It only has one fuel filter......A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is used on all gas powered engines. It is located on the top of the fuel pump module. A separate frame mounted fuel filter is not used.....You can change the filter without removing the tank or module.....Have someone get down by the fuel tank and turn the key on and see if you can hear the pump run when the key is first turned on....Jim
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline jd2

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »
Are you saying it cranks good but won't start, or it won't crank? If it cranks good but won't start, have somebody crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs. If you have plenty of spark, check the fuel system.

You don't have that Mobil Speedpass tag on your key ring, do you? Sometimes they can cause problems with the theft system.

Jason

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »
I'm going to check the spark plugs again, but it didn't seem to be sparking when I checked it last.

Jason

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
Yeah, definitely seems to be no spark coming from spark plugs. Just replaced those, so they're brand new. Also got my battery recharged so that shouldn't be the problem. Cranked engine while listening to fuel tank and it seems to be pumping. Don't know what else it could be. Possibly the timing belt, but don't know much about cars so don't know how to go about this. More help would be great.

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »
First thing you might want to do is check all the fuses..The ones in the fuse panel under the dash and the ones under the hood....Jim
This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline greasemonkey

• May God Bless You
  • BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:10:42 AM »
This engine should be a 2.0 SOHC for this year. To check the timing belt to see if the cam is turning take the plug out of the hole on the top of the timing cover and have someone turn the engine over and see if the cam is turning. If it is then it is not what is causing the no spark condition. If it isn't turning then you will have to replace the timing belt. Good luck!! Greasemonkey :)
Let us help you. All we need is a little information. Make, Model,Year and Engine size. What is the problem you are having? When does it happen? Are there any codes? Are any warning lights on, and if there is which ones?  Recent repairs would be nice. Any abnormal noises,smells,leaks? The more information the better to help you with your problem. Hope that we can help you. And if we have make a donation to this site to keep it up and running. So we can help you in the future. Greasemonkey :)

Offline jd2

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:07:59 AM »
Yeah, definitely seems to be no spark coming from spark plugs. Just replaced those, so they're brand new. Also got my battery recharged so that shouldn't be the problem. Cranked engine while listening to fuel tank and it seems to be pumping. Don't know what else it could be. Possibly the timing belt, but don't know much about cars so don't know how to go about this. More help would be great.

If you have no spark anywhere, check the wiring harness connector at the coil pack. The terminal for the dark green/orange wire should be hot all the time with the engine cranking. You can use a test lite. Can you check for codes?

Offline Charlesmac

• BAT Mechanic Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 07:08:48 PM »
since you have removed the cables to reset the sensors, unfortunately this cleared the codes out,so you cant have it scanned for code which would really help.  I would check the (camshaft interrupter magnet) some people call a camshaft posisition sensor,which reads posisition of cam to piston for fireing, believe it mounted on rear end of head, not positive.  Also check the crankshaft posisition sensor they both have to make the thing fire. not posisitive on this one could be on front of engine or on side to the rear. be very careful checking these and dont break them get rather expensive. Maby one on the techs on here can explain to you how to check them for I not to familiar with crysler products. good luck.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.