Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: Security light 2001 Buick Lesabre Limited  (Read 1162 times)

Offline The old man

• Sponsoring Member
Security light 2001 Buick Lesabre Limited
« on: December 15, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
  The catlictic convertor inefficiency that I had in my first inquiry on this car a while back is OK now because I replaced the convertor and have drove it thousand of miles with no more codes showing up and getting better mileage, I think..  Fuel pump is OK also. It seems OK now.

The reason for this inquiry is that sometimes the Security light will stay on when I first start it and just have to shut it off and restart it and it will stay off. This was like this when I first got the car. It will keep running even if I don't shut it off. It seems to have no effect on the running or start issure.  2 other times when I was going down the road, the car would stop running.  It would restart both times with no future problems.  Both times I failed to see if the security light was on when it stopped. The car stopping while going down the road only happened 2 times since I have had the car, less than a year. And it happened when I was coming to a stop. Is this a indication of a car that may not start in the future because of the security issue, or something else?  Thanks for any input.

Offline JackC

• JackC
  • BAT Mechanic Member
Re: Security light 2001 Buick Lesabre Limited
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
This may have nothing to do with your problem, but is something to keep in mind. 

If the torque convertor lock up does not disengage as it should at low speeds, as in stopping, it will kill the engine.

Well, now that I see who posted this, I am sure you already know about that.

Jack
Experience: The name men give to their mistakes.

Offline The old man

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »
  Yeah JackC,  I never felt any idle problem when it died and the fact that the engine died and still going about 15 mile an hour or so. And what I am learned about security lights from this site, it seems like it would not even start, let alone run when the security light will not go out in 3 seconds or so when key is first turned on. The stalling might not even have nothing to do with the security light maybe being on.  When it only happen 2 times in a year or less would be hard pressed to find. The only reason I am asking this time is that is happened yesterday coming home from hospital.  I think I had a mini stoke but they are not sure what happened. But that has nothing to do with car problems.  LOL

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:19:32 AM »
Resistor chip, transponder keys, and the latest scheme using a standard key with Hall Effect devices that output a signal if the correct key is inserted and the tumblers are properly aligned.  All can give problems, with the Hall Effect, key can still work, but the teeth are worn off.  Getting a copy off the key is not a solution for erratic operation.

Certainly doing a far better job of preventing the rightful owner of the vehicle from starting and running their vehicles than prevent thief.  If they really want your car, just need a flat bed truck, don't even need a key.

Besides that key, have literally millions of electrical connections, most are buried inside integrated circuits.  Unlike a single sided PCB, not only have runs in the two dimension plane, but also in the vertical plane as well.  But with erratic problems, most likely is an erratic switch contact that fails to give a proper power on reset.  Just a tiny capacitor does that pulling the reset pin for the microcontroller reset pin to a low.  If not properly reset, program counter is not reset to zero and starts off down stream screwing every thing up.  Firmware can be written to be self correcting, but all depends on how sharp that guy in India is that writes this stuff.

Dirty ignition switch contacts can cause this problem.  With an engine killing erratically, your guess is as good as mine.  How about connecting a fuel pressure gauge, hot wiring the fuel pump, and draining the gas into a clear container.  You may find water in the fuel.  Also have a million connections for the fuel injectors and ignition.  Don't even want to think where the problem could lie in these situations, in particular an erratic problems.

Usually in the connectors, not looking for anything major, could be just a mild amount of corrosion on one pin.

Oh for the days with an engine driven fuel pump, and a set of points for the ignition, so much simpler back then.  What use to take five minutes, can consume an entire weekend, or even more.

Offline Gus

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »
I can't think of any SECURITY issue that can cause a car to stall, once it is started and running.....since you have a "limited", the light could be on due to a problem in the CTD system, versus the VTD sytem...

Has the vehicle been scanned for "P", 'B", and "U" codes?

Two stalls in a year, wouldn't even be called intermittant....

Doubt it's water, would happen more often.....

Doubt TCC locked, don't think it can happen on a 4 speed automatic because when downshifted to first a channel opens to release pressure, as you come to a stop.....that channel is not there on a 3 speed....

Any number of things can cause it......

Offline The old man

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
I don't have a scanner that can scan b and u codes. Trying to find a good used one somewhere. I don't work on that many cars now to buy a real  expensive one.  May go to someone who has a full service scanner and pay to have it done.  No p codes show up now since I replaced the catylitic convertor.  Car runs great and great mileage. Stalling isn't really an issue since it only does it once is a long time between and would be extremely hard to pin down..  But it is uncomfortable when your power steering and brakes get harder to turn and stop.
  May try cleaning out the ignition lock, but don't have much faith in that. But the light seems to be coming on and not going out more often when first turning the key to on position to check gauges. Just turn the key back off and turn on again and it goes out.  Thank for the input and I will try to find out more on the CTD versus the VTD.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:21:25 AM by The old man »

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.