Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1995 Ford Explorer  (Read 618 times)

Offline bowler91383

1995 Ford Explorer
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Recently I started having problems with my 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4 cilinder shifting.   As you press on the gas and it goes to high RPM's, then you let off the gas and press it gently and it finally shifts.   I was told it was probably a bad valve body gasket, so bought the new set of them and changed the old ones out.   The old ones didn't look like they had any rips or anything, but changed them anyways.   This didn't fix my problem  :( It has 250,000 miles on it and just recently started doing this.   Also, the O/D off light comes on after a while and won't go off until I disconnect power.   Any help would be appreciated
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:02:36 PM by bowler91383 »

Offline stu

• BAT Admin
Re: 1995 Ford Explorer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
The light comes on for a reason. Have the codes read and don't throw parts at it hoping it will be cured.
I am in a state of confusion.

Offline jasonn20

• BAT Mechanic Member
Re: 1995 Ford Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:55:53 PM »
It is probably flagging a shift solenoid or gear ratio error in 2nd code and with the amount of servo bore problems Ford has it is probably worn out causing a hydraulic leak making intermediate band/servo have a delayed engagment in 2nd.    4r44e

The neutral safety/MLP switch should be observed with scanner as this switch does not flag a code very often even if it is reading incorrectly as well as proper operation of the speed sensors and so forth.   

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.