Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 1989 Astro Van - Turn Signal/Hazard Lights  (Read 1307 times)

Offline JimTrav

1989 Astro Van - Turn Signal/Hazard Lights
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
Hello BatAuto,

You did a great job with the alternator issue, so I am back again with a new issue.

Turn signals/hazard lights. Went to the AutoZone website and put in the 1989 Astro Van specs, 6 cyl. 4.3 L the website pulls up part number LL552. So, just went to AutoZone today and bought a part LL552 11-15v DC 2 Terminal flasher. I installed the flasher, and it does not fit snug. In fact, the flasher falls out of the socket without the plastic cover to the fuse box. Hmmm.... Maybe I not putting the flasher in the right place!

Also, turn signal lights DO NOT WORK (left or right). Emergency/hazard lights work fine, front and back, with the new flasher. Without the new flasher nothing works, turn signal lights or emergency/hazard lights.

So where do we go from here?

Looking forward to your reply, assistance and expertise.

Thank you.

Jim

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 1989 Astro Van - Turn Signal/Hazard Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:06:11 PM »
Sounds like you replaced the hazard flasher and not the turn signal flasher...Jim.............The fuse block is located under the lefthand side of the instrument panel, above the kick panel. The hazard flasher is located at the convenience center, on the left side of the steering column, behind the instrument panel. The turn signal flasher is located to the right of the steering column behind the instrument panel.

This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline JimTrav

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Jim,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Now that I know where to look for the turn signal flasher, do I need to remove anything to get to the turn signal flasher. The reason I ask, is because when I looked underneath the instrument panel, on the right side of the steering column, I didn't see anything that looks like a turn signal flasher, or a socket where I can plug the turn signal flasher into to. Do I need to remove some sort of panel, or pull down some wires, or look higher up behind the instrument panel on the right side of the steering column?

Just a little bit more help, and I think I can get it.

Thanks again for your assistance........and patience.

Jim

Offline Mobile Dan

• Moon's Mobile Auto Service
  • BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:29 PM »
#4 is the TS flasher. The right side may be the wrong side. And the left side may be the right side.

http://repair.alldata.com/alldata/imagesWLinks?file=//image300e/03/58/27_dom_89_049-0009.png&width=448&height=298&displayType=display&imgRotation=&links=

This info available with Alldata DIY purchase.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:10:57 PM by Danica »

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Ok...now I found what Danica did...hope this helps....Jim......Behind LH Side Of I/P, Near Hood Release Cable
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.

Offline JimTrav

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies.

In my 1989 Astro Van, the hood release is on the RIGHT HAND side of the steering column. Next to the engine cover. I know one thing for certain, the flasher that I bought today at AutoZone, falls out when I plug it into the socket next to the fusebox, unless I hold the flasher in place, and put the fusebox plastic cover over the fusebox, then the fusebox plastic cover holds the flasher in place.

So, either
1. I am putting the turn signal flasher in the wrong socket, (the only socket that I can locate) or
2. AutoZone sold me the wrong part, and needs to fix their computer system auto parts inventory specs.

Like I said, you did great with the alternator issue, so let's keep at it, with teamwork, we can FIX IT.

I'll look around again underneath the instrument panel and check back here at the forum tomorrow.

Thank you again for your time and expertise

Jim

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
Are you trying to put the flasher in the place on this diagram where the round part is?....It doesn't go there..........you need to look farther up in there....maybe take off a cover or something...Jim

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
Ha, good point Jim.  As I recall there is that spot that looks like it should be for a flasher, but has no electrical contacts!

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
exactly....the wiring diagram shows no wiring in there....Jim

Offline JimTrav

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:59 AM »
Thanks again everybody for your replies.

And thanks Jim for the diagram, because that is exactly what I am trying to do, that is, to try and put the flasher into the round area that is connected to the fusebox, and it is NOT working.

So, we are making progress, because now we know, where the flasher DOES NOT go. Process of elimination.

I will "look up further" by the instrument panel, as well as look for a cover or panel or piece of plastic that needs to be removed, to get at the turn signal flasher.

Thanks again everybody for your time and expertise.

Jim

Offline tercr6

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/componentlocations/componentLocationMain.jsp?appIdsArray=&categoryNValue=4294962916&appQId=4294962982&categoryName=FLASHER

The turn signal flasher is mounted under the instrument panel to the right of the steering column.

The hazard flasher is mounted in the convenience center. The convenience center is located to the left of the steering column and at the lower edge of the instrument panel.

http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/ContentDelivery.aspx?ca=Repair

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.