Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 02 Lincoln LS Misfire  (Read 709 times)

Offline afresta

02 Lincoln LS Misfire
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:06 PM »
02 Lincoln LS
V8 4.  9 L
Misfire, No Check Engine Light on
Hooked up scanner no codes.   Replaced plugs on all cylinders and is better but still think I have a bad coil.   Why would the check engine light not be on if it's supposed to detect misfires. 
Even pulled of electrical connector to a coil while running and still no code or light
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:18:46 PM by afresta »

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 02 Lincoln LS Misfire
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
  first does the CEL come on at start @3seconds then go out?
  You have a scanner did you ck pending and while there history?
  you are sure the scanner communicated ? 

answer that and tell if you have a scanner OR a code reader we can look at more items with scanner that may pin it down ie closed loop, ECT, STFT, counters etc

Offline afresta

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Hi 
I have a snapon scanner
The cel comes on for 3 sec then goes off
No codes in history or present

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
With a misfire, I always to a compression check first.  If that is good, use a spark gap tester with an old fashion  to drive the coils, if that is good, check the trigger voltages, if that is good, check out the injectors.

Then I ask myself, why did I ever sell my fully restored Model A, should have used it as a daily driver, real easy to work on.  And certainly no problem keeping up with traffic since they are lowering the speed limits every five minutes, with Homeland Security cops on every street corner.

Recall reading all those 50's science and mechanics magazines, by 2000 we will be driving at 400 mph.  They sure missed the boat on that, 4 mph is more like it.

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
pulling the coil wire for a short time may not set DTC-   we would need to get the parameters for setting code - ECT, TPs, -  TIME come to mind...

But that is manly academic ... how did all the old plugs look anything there to help ID a hole to ck on?
As all the diagnostics are not helping we go to basics- check plugs,  compresion test, vac test, coil output use a plug tester, injector - flashing? aand will need to see if actually spraying...

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.