Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 2000 Malibu engine swap  (Read 1096 times)

Offline mikedevilfish

2000 Malibu engine swap
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »
I want to know if a 2001 Malibu, (3100 motor) will work in a 2000 malibu.  The reason I ask is because on the 2000 motor the EGR is taken from the head and the 2001 the EGR is taken from the manifold. Any thoughts?

Offline billr

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 2000 Malibu engine swap
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »
I would be wary, even when everything looks the same, there can be subtle differences in the PCM or sensors and wiring connectors.  Since you have an obvious mechanical difference with the EGR, again I would be wary...  Perhaps the Hollander Interchange can give you more definitive info.

Offline The old man

• Sponsoring Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
 If you look up in the online salvage yards for an engine for a 2000 malibu, they will show engine all the way to 2002.  1999 don't seem to work and neither do 2003.  But like bill said there could be problem with PCM ,wiring etc.  If I tried it,I would like to know where the donor car come from so as maybe ro get some wire connectors if needed. Also try to get the PCM that come with the car,  because your car might not even start if there is a theft deterent system on your car. Call the junkyard and see what they say about it.

I put a tailgate from a 2000  Chrysler van on a 2003 chrysler van and the door fit perfectly. Everything worked on it except the automatic lock  that pulls the tailgate in when the tailgate go down would not lock.  It would just go in the wrong direction.. I had to use the old wiring harness of of the wrecked tailgate for it to work like it should.

It would probably work with no issues, but  odds are it won't.

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
Purchased a new vehicle yesterday and traded-in one of my old ones.  First time I traded in a vehicle in a long long time.  Had to swear under oath, my trade-in was not modified in anyway.  If they found any modifications, would be liable to pay the full value of the trade-in, plus their labor charges.

Even a back in 95 when I was hit by the idiot kid with 27 witnesses testifying against him, he crossed his yellow line in his no passing zone and hit me head on.  His insurance companies hired a bunch of experts to learn if I modified my vehicle in anyway.  My attorney warned me, even though it was his fault, his insurance company would not be liable.

This is how this F__ken country changed, don't even think about modifying a vehicle anymore.  Use to be a lot of fun to drop in a Caddy engine in a 48 Ford coupe or other engine conversions.  Not only that, but can get the EPA on your butt with a $25,000.00 fine.

Offline kev2

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
 NickD  where are you living?  So many trade ins I can't remember them all  BUT am sure that I never never was asked about modifications.... even on the vette.     

Maybe a used car dealer, OR something the business wanted - nothing in "law" I am aware of ? 

caveat emptor

Offline NickD

• wrench
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
In Wisconsin, about the only state in the union where you cannot buy a can of R-134a, even if certified.  But regarding accidents and modifications, fairly nationwide.  Any minor excuse to get out paying a claim.  But then there is the EPA, kind of weak in our state, noted for turning their heads with corporations in particular, California has to take the cake for being the worse EPA state.

Whoever came up with name, "United States" is questionable, more like 50 different countries competing with each other.  Wisconsin leading the pack for the most laws.   Only real thing that unites us, is the IRS.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.