Get an AlldataDIY Repair Info Subscription Special Thanks To: AC Kits.com

Author Topic: 85 CHEVY K10 BLEEDING HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES  (Read 3625 times)

Offline PATRICK

85 CHEVY K10 BLEEDING HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
Im working on a friend's 85 Chevy 4x4.  We had to replace the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder.  We bled the master cylinder then attached the line to the slave cylinder.
We then proceeded to bleed the slave cylinder and still can't get the clutch to disengage all the way.  I know Fords have a very specific way to bleed the system.  Do Chevy's have a specific procedure also?

Offline Jim Fairbanks

• BAT Mechanic Member
  • wrench
Re: 85 CHEVY K10 BLEEDING HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
Here is the procedure for bleeding the slave cylinder.....Jim...........System Bleeding

Note : When refilling or bleeding system, use on new brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 or DOT 4 specifications.

Raise and support vehicle.
Remove slave cylinder retaining nuts, then the slave cylinder.
While holding Slave cylinder at approximately 45 degrees with bleeder at highest point, have an assistant depress clutch pedal while opening bleeder valve.
With clutch pedal held at end of stroke, close bleeder valve and release clutch pedal.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all air has been expelled from system. While bleeding clutch system, constantly check master cylinder reservoir fluid level and replenish as necessary to prevent master cylinder running out of fluid.

This information available in the AlldataDIY subscription
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs and recalls $24.95/year.
Each additional vehicle after the first vehicle and renewals are $14.95/year .
Images used with permission 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata, Donate to BAT Auto or Buy a BAT logo item

Offline PATRICK

Re: 85 CHEVY K10 BLEEDING HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A SPECIFIC PROCEDURE TO BLEED THIS SYSTEM.  I KNOW ON MY FORD YOU HAVE TO PULL ON THE CLUTCH FORK IN REVERSE OF THE WAY IT MOVES TO DISENGAGE THE CLUTCH TO DISPLACE THE AIR.  IT MAKES SENSE TO UNBOLT THE CYLINDER AND POINT THE BLEEDER IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION.

©Copyright 2001-2013 batauto.com, BAT Auto Technical.
All Rights Reserved.
May not be reproduced without express written consent

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all information.
Please confirm the information with an appropriate manual
We try and make them as accurate as we can, but sometimes we all make mistakes.